I’ve sung the praises of bean salads forever: inexpensive, pretty, satisfying, colorful, flexible, and so on and so on. I’m far from the only one to recognize the value of a great bean salad; they have graced the tables of potlucks, buffets, and also the blankets of picnics forever. There are mediocre bean salads for sure; but it’s actually so easy to elevate a bean salad into something delightful, and dare I say…surprising?
Try serving this as a side to any simply cooked main courses, especially those with a Mediterranean bent. Try Grilled Split Turkey Breast, Grilled Salmon, or Slow Roasted Pork Roast. Or serve it on its own with a side of Spanish Tomato Bread.
This white bean salad gets its mojo from some diced jarred pimentos, a little handful of fresh parsley, capers, and some minced fresh garlic. A simple red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing pull it all together.
- White beans – rinsed and drained. There are any number of beans that would works perfectly in this salad. Cannellini (sometimes called white kidney beans), navy beans, or Great Northern Beans are some of the options. You can find all of these beans in cans, and you can also choose to cook them from dried yourself, which is even more economical. If you can get some dried beans from an heirloom bean company, you will be rewarded with terrific flavor and texture.
- Pimentos – you can use diced jarred pimentos or roughly chop sliced pimentos. Drain before adding.
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar – feel free to substitute another vinegar if that what you have on hand
- Minced fresh parsley – adds color and a fresh herbal note
- Minced garlic – fresh is best
How to Make White Bean Salad
- Combine the salad. In a large bowl combine the white beans, olive oil, red wine vinegar, capers, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
White Bean Salad: Vegan, protein-filled, easy to make, inexpensive and just plain delicious – this rounds out a casual buffet or outdoor gathering perfectly.Tweet This
Variations and Substitutions
- Add a handful of shredded Parmesan next time, which will move it from vegan to vegetarian, but will add terrific flavor.
- If you wanted to sub in garlic oil for olive oil to a richer garlic flavor (you can choose to leave the minced garlic in or out if you go this route), that adds a deeper level of garlicky flavor.
- You can use diced roasted bell peppers instead of pimentos.
- Ass in other vegetables like diced zucchini, red onion, or sliced cooked asparagus.
You can store the white bean salad for up to 5 days, covered, in the fridge.
What to Serve with White Bean Salad:
Other Bean Salad Recipes:
- Chickpea and Fava Bean Salad
- Modern Three Bean Salad
- White Bean and Hearts of Palm Salad
- Mexican Avocado, Corn and Three Bean Salad
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
White Bean Salad
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans white beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 4-ounce jar diced pimentos (or roughly chop sliced pimentos), drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the white beans, olive oil, red wine vinegar, capers, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.