I’ve sung the praises of bean salads forever: inexpensive, pretty, satisfying, colorful, flexible, and so on and so on. I’m far from the only one to recognize the value of a great bean salad; they have graced the tables of potlucks, buffets, and also the blankets of picnics forever. There are mediocre bean salads for sure; but it’s actually so easy to elevate a bean salad into something delightful, and dare I say…surprising?
Ingredients for White Bean Salad
This white bean salad gets its mojo from some diced jarred pimentos, a little handful of fresh parsley, capers, and some minced fresh garlic. A simple red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing pull it all together. I might add a handful of finely grated Parmesan next time, which will move it from vegan to vegetarian, but I think add terrific flavor. If you wanted to sub in garlic oil for olive oil to a richer garlic flavor (you can choose to leave the minced garlic in or out if you go this route), that adds a deeper level of garlicky flavor.
What Beans to Use in White Bean Salad:
There are any number of beans that would works perfectly in this salad. Cannellini (sometimes called white kidney beans), navy beans, or Great Northern Beans are some of the options. You can find all of these beans in cans, and you can also choose to cook them from dried yourself, which is even more economical. If you can get some dried beans from an heirloom bean company, you will be rewarded with terrific flavor and texture.
White Bean Salad: Vegan, protein-filled, easy to make, inexpensive and just plain delicious – this rounds out a casual buffet or outdoor gathering perfectly.Tweet This
How Long to Store Bean Salad
You can store the white bean salad for up to 5 days, covered, in the fridge.
What to Serve with White Bean Salad:
- Grilled Swordfish
- Spanish Tomato Bread
- Grilled Split Turkey Breast
- Grilled Salmon
- Poached Salmon
- Steak and Cheese Quesadillas
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Citrus Dressing
Other Bean Salad Recipes:
- Chickpea and Fava Bean Salad
- Modern Three Bean Salad
- White Bean and Hearts of Palm Salad
- Mexican Avocado, Corn and Three Bean Salad
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
White Bean Salad
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans white beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 4-ounce jar diced pimentos (or roughly chop sliced pimentos), drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the white beans, olive oil, red wine vinegar, capers, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.