Healthy Bean Salad
I have been pleasantly surprised, nay, shocked at how much my family has been liking the semi-endless stream of bean salads that have been gracing our table. Inexpensive, yes, sure, but I’ve also been making them because they are colorful, and protein-filled, and nutritious, and easy, and fast, and because (probably like you) I have a whole lot of beans in my pantry and I need to use them (and not feel like an idiot for buying so many).
In this salad I picked a combo of chickpeas (which are probably my favorite bean), and fava beans, which I happened to have, and don’t use all that often. You can and should use whatever beans you have.
Fava Beans, also known as broad beans, horse beans, fava beans, and more, are a bean some people are very familiar with, and some people not at all. They are available canned (and also peeled and steamed), but they can also be found fresh and you can cook them yourself.
Some people can’t eat fava beans, so if you are serving guests mention that they are in this salad: some people of African, Southeast Asian and Mediterranean descent can have an enzyme deficiency that causes a severe reaction – if you don’t have this deficiency (and most of us don’t), these beans are just as delicious, healthful, and versatile as any other bean. But worth noting.
Chickpea and Fava Bean Salad: This colorful, high protein salad will make any table look cheerier, and it’s extremely flexible, so don’t be afraid to swap around ingredients!Tweet This
Flexible Bean Salad Recipe
Like all bean recipes, there is just endless flexibility here. Yes, swap out the beans for whatever you have. Zucchini instead of cucumber, any color olives (or no olives….or a tablespoon of capers), whatever vinegar, whatever mustard you have, great. Whatever color onions, or maybe shallots. Pinch of red pepper flakes or another hot pepper instead of the jalapeno.
What to Serve with Chickpea and Fava Bean Salad:
- Lemon Garlic Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Greek Turkey Burgers
- Island Chicken Bites
- Tortilla-Crusted Tilapia with Sriracha Sauce
- Monster Vegetable Sub Sandwich
Other Bean Salads:
- Mexican Avocado, Corn and Three Bean Salad
- Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Mediterranean Lentil, Red Onion and Avocado Salad
- Baby Romaine, Chickpea, and Root Vegetable Salad with Slightly Spicy Dressing
- Chickpea Salad
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Chickpea and Fava Bean Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) fava beans
- 2 cups sliced cucumber , (preferably baby but whatever)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and minced
- 1 cup halved olives (any kind)
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas, fava beans, cucumber, onion, jalapeno, and olives. Toss well. That’s it!
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved