If the idea of dipping crisp and creamy roasted potatoes into a dipping sauce doesn’t float your boat then I probably have to apologize for a number of these posts that are appearing on the blog. I happen to think it’s the best thing to happen to a mini roasted potato since salt and olive oil.
A recent version was Roasted Potatoes with Creamy Harissa Dipping Sauce. There will be more coming. The boys have been loving all of this roasting and dipping and I’ve been making things like this constantly for guests, both last minute and planned. I usually have small potatoes on hand, so these appetizers are but a quick thought away.
If I didn’t have scallions, I would use any kind of onion, about ½ cup chopped. If I had fresh oregano leaves and no basil, I would use 2 tablespoons of those. If I had limes instead of lemons, I would make that switch.
Low fat vs. full fat sour cream and mayo: your choice.
Other sauces that could be happy sidling up to a platter of these potatoes:
Stay tuned for more things dipped in sauces.
Roasted Potatoes with Arugula-Basil Dipping Sauce
For the Roasted Potatoes
- 2 pounds baby potatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
For the Herb Dipping Sauce
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 scallions trimmed and roughly chopped (white and green parts)
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle over the olive oil. Toss to coat then spread the potatoes out on the baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce, if using. Turn the herb mixture into the bowl and stir well to combine. Transfer to a small serving bowl and serve with the potatoes for dipping.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved