Roasted Tomato Sauce
With a jar of this in the fridge, you will make dinner interesting in two shakes.Katie Workman roasted, sauce, tomato
Serving Size: Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups
This roasted tomato sauce is amazing served up with all kind of Mexican food, like enchiladas, tacos, and these fajitas. It would also be nice with some plain or Mexican grilled steak or chicken or fish. It will keep for about 5 days in the fridge, and I see nothing wrong with menu planning around it for an entire week.
If you want you could skip the cilantro – some people just don’t like it. You could sub in parsley for a bit of green freshness, or you could add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin if you want an earthier, smokier flavor.
- 6 large plum tomatoes halved and seeded
- 2 shallots peeled and halved
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno stemmed, seeded and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or more as desired
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- reheat the oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then lightly the foil or spray with nonstick baking spray. Spread the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and jalapenos on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven until softened and well browned in spots, about 20 to 25 minutes.