Sriracha MayoKatie Workman condiment, guy fieri, sauce, sriracha, sriracha sauce
A sentence I have never said, nor thought I would say: This recipe is inspired by Guy Fieri.
I’m far from a food snob (how far is a little embarrassing sometimes. Put a bowl of Cheetos in front of me and watch), but I did not imagine myself getting culinarily inspired by someone who wears his sunglasses on the back of his spiked head. Not judging. Just saying. And clearly possibly judging a little.
But when I saw Guy’s Sriracha Mayo Burger recipe online I did think he had a pretty perfect combo of ingredients, a very appealing balance of heat with a bit of tart and a tiny bit of sweet, and you know, snobs really don’t have that much fun so I made it, with a few tweaks, the biggest one being the skipping of the burger. I served it with carrot fries, I served it with fish, and it was good. So, Guy, I owe you a bottle of hair gel.
So, yes this sriracha mayo is great on burgers of all stripes, from beef to turkey to fish. Great with a piece of crisp-cooked fish, or some poached or fried shrimp, or if you’re feeling super indulgent, french fries (you know about the mayo French fry thing the Belgians invented right? The Belgians are wise, wise people).
The amount of honey is very small, and you could certainly bump it up a bit if you wanted a higher level of sweet to balance out the heat.
Other Condiments and Sauces to Try:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 scallions white and green parts, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce or more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Slather on burgers (meaty, veggie, turkey, seafood) and sandwiches, use as a dip for vegetables -- raw or roasted, dunk cooked shrimp in this. You could try thinning it with a bit of milk or buttermilk and using it as a dressing for potato salad. I'm planning to try that soon; I'll let you know how it goes.