Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
Honey mustard dressing came into fashion when I was growing up, and started appearing on all kinds of restaurant menus, and then in bottles on the supermarket shelves. The blend of peppery heat from the mustard and the sweetness of the honey, all bound together in a creamy (usually) dressing, captured a whole lot of peoples’ fancy.
It also showed up in thicker versions as a dip (notably paired with chicken tenders or nuggets). Well, it’s still delicious, and now we can make it even better at home!
What Kind of Mustard to Use in Honey Mustard Dressing?
Dijon mustard, with its distinctive sharpness, is the way to go. I prefer smooth Dijon mustard in this dressing, but you should feel free to use whatever you have on hand. I usually like my honey mustard dressing on the creamier side, though in general I am very partial to grainy Dijon’s as well. You can pick the consistency of your mustard, knowing it will of course influence the consistency of your finished dressing.
Honey Mustard Dressing Ingredients
- Honey – obvious it’s part of the title, and this is what gives the dressing its sweetness
- Dijon mustard – the spicy kick of Dijon is such a good counterpoint to the honey, and both the mustard and the honey help the dressing emulsify, or bind together in a creamy unified way.
- Vinegar – the appley flavor of cider vinegar is my favorite here, but other vinegars such as rice, white wine, or red wine could also be used
- Garlic – provides a spicy pop
- Olive oil – for smoothness, flavor, and richness
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper – because – always!
Classic Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
You can use this dressing on any lettuce or vegetable-based salad you like. A very classic basic salad combo is some sort of crunchy lettuce (iceberg, romaine, green or red lettuce), plus some cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions. This dressing also goes really nicely with fresh or dried fruit and nuts in salads, so if you have those around throw them in. The spicy sweetness of the dressing is a great complement to everything from dried apricots to walnuts to pecans and sliced apples.
Honey Mustard Dressing: The perfect balance of peppery heat from the mustard and sweetness from the honey, all bound together in a creamy salad dressing (also a great dip for chicken nuggets!)Tweet This
Honey Mustard Dressing would be great on the following salads (in place the of the dressings in the recipe!)
- Spring Cobb Salad with Scallion Dressing
- Kale Crunch Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Fall Vegetable and Farro Salad
Other Salad Dressing Recipes:
- Homemade Italian Dressing
- Ranch Dressing
- Classic Vinaigrette
- Japanese Restaurant Salad Dressing
- Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Green Goddess Dressing
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Honey Mustard Dressing
- In a container or jar with a lid combine the olive oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and shake well to combine. This will keep for a week sealed in the refrigerator. Shake well before pouring it over salad.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved