The trajectory of the rise, fall, and then plateauing of kale salads is one that elicits a lot of opinions. Some people are happy that kale is no longer a ubiquitous thing, a given in a salad, bowl, a must in a grain bowl, a part of so many recipes. Other people – like me, dear reader – still love kale, but are not sad to watch it take its more appropriate place in the larger wide world of vegetables.
And I still love kale salads.
Chick-fil-a Kale Crunch Salad
If anyone had doubts about the pervasiveness of kale in our diets, they needed to look no further than fast food restaurants. It a certain sign that a vegetable has locked itself into mainstream eating when you see it on the likes of meus such as Chick-fil-A. Their bestselling salad contains green cabbage and kale with a maple syrup and cider dressing, and a package of slivered almonds, and it has meet with a groundswell of fandom.
Homemade Kale Crunch Salad
And this crunch kale salad is easily replicated as home, and I have to say, wow, this is a serious winner of a salad. My version of this salad uses Napa cabbage, which I find lighter and more lettuce than regular cabbage, and while almonds are certainly an option, if there are allergies in your house (as there are in mine) then pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds) are a terrific option, providing the crunch in the promise of the salad.
Adding a handful of grated Parmesan at the end is optional, but it makes the salad as far as I’m concerned. That and the slightly sweet slightly tangy dressing, and of course the crunchy addition of nuts or seeds.
Kale Crunch Salad: A serious winner of a salad, with kale, Napa cabbage, hulled pumpkin seeds, and an addicting dressing.Tweet This
How to Make Kale Crunch Salad
Make the dressing: In a small container or bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, apple cider or juice, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Place the kale in a mixing or serving bowl and pour over the dressing.
Using your hands, toss and kale with the dressing, and massage the kale as you do this, so that the leaves soften and start to absorb the dressing.
Let sit for a few minutes, then toss in the cabbage, combine well and let sit for another 10 minutes.
Then toss in the nuts or pepitas and any other add ins you like, like grated Parmsan.
What to Serve with Kale Crunch Salad:
- Instant Pot Mediterranian Lamb Stew
- Greek Fish Tacos
- Pasta Salad with Chicken, Green Olives, and Ramp Vinaigrette
- Whole Grain Penne with Zucchini, Tomato and Feta
- Mustard and Maple Pork Kebabs
- Baked Chicken Legs with Herbs and Lemon
Other Kale Salad Recipes:
- Romaine, Kale and Broccoli Salad
- Kale, Cabbage and Mint Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Kale Quinoa Salad with Honey, Lemon and Dijon Dressing
- Mixed Green Salad with Creamy Sesame Dressing
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Kale Crunch Salad
For the Apple Dijon Dressing
For the Kale Salad
- 3 cups roughly chopped kale , stripped of any thick stems
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- ½ cup toasted almonds or pepitas
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan (recommended)
- 1 apple (your choice) , cored and diced
- ½ cup dried cranberries , cherries, or other chopped dried fruit
- Make the dressing: In a small container or bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, apple cider or juice, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Place the kale in ta mixing or serving bowl and pour over the dressing. Using your hands, toss and kale with the dressing, and massage the kale as you do this, so that the leaves soften and start to absorb the dressing. Let sit for a few minutes, then toss in the cabbage, combine well and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- Then toss in the nuts or pepitas, the Parmesan if using, and any other add ins you like. Serve.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved