Simple Grilled Asparagus Recipe
The simplest things are often the most delicious. And pretty. And even good for you. And sometimes fast. This is all of those things.
Because the asparagus won’t soak up all that much of the vinaigrette if you pour it over shortly before serving, the amount of dressing will feel a bit ample. This makes it very conducive to a couple of things. Either serve the asparagus over a bed of cooked grains, such as rice, quinoa, or millet, and let the grain soak up the tangy vinaigrette.
Or make sure you have some lovely crusty bread at the table so once the asparagus is gone (or at least once you can see the bottom of the serving platter you) and your guests and grab little hunks of bread and swipe up some of this oh so tasty dressing. Make sure to mention this to your people.
Grilled Asparagus with Vinaigrette: A fabulous, pretty, simple warm-weather side. Make sure to serve with grains or crusty bread to sop up all of the tangy vinaigrette.Tweet This
How to Grill Asparagus
Heat the grill (gas or charcoal or pellet) to medium-high heat. Trim the bottom of each asparagus spear, removing the woody pale part, or if your asparagus are thick, trim off about 1-inch from the bottom, then peel the bottom few inches of the asparagus to remove the touch outer layer.
On a sheet pan, toss the asparagus with the remaining tablespoon of the olive oil. Transfer to the grill with the spears facing perpendicular to the grates. Use tongs to turn them as they get grill marks on the bottom, until they are cooked to your liking, anywhere from 4 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus and how well you like them cooked. Don’t forget that they will continue to cook a bit after you remove them from the heat.
Making “Grilled” Asparagus in the Oven
Instead of grilling the asparagus, you can roast it instead. Place the asparagus in a baking pan. Don’t worry about finding a pan large enough to hold the asparagus in one layer – the stalks can overlap a bit. Drizzle the olive oil over them and toss gently to coat the asparagus evenly. Sprinkle on the salt, and toss again.
Roast the asparagus for 8 to 10 minutes for thin stalks, 10 to 14 for thick ones. If they overlap a lot, just move them around a bit halfway through the cooking time so they all have a chance to brown a bit.
Make Ahead Grilled Asparagus
You can make the vinaigrette a couple of days ahead of time and store in the fridge. And because this is good warm or at room temperature, you can make the whole thing a few hours ahead, and the vinaigrette will then soak a bit more into the asparagus.
Do you know what I wish I had added to this? A sprinkle of finely grated lemon zest. Next time.
What to Serve with Grilled Asparagus with Vinaigrette:
- Grilled Marinated NY Strip Steak
- Simple Herbed Grilled Chicken
- Alaska Rockfish Tacos
- Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Feta and Herbed Mayonnaise
- Perfect Roast Chicken
Other Asparagus Recipes:
- Roasted Asparagus with Pesto Crème Fraiche
- Simple Roasted Asparagus with Shallots and Parmesan
- Asparagus with Herb Dipping Sauce
- Roasted Asparagus with Creamy Mustard-Oregano Sauce
- Roasted Asparagus with Creamy Lemon Dressing
Also Read: How to Roast Asparagus.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Grilled Asparagus with Vinaigrette
- Preheat the grill to medium. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- On a sheet pan, toss the asparagus with the remaining tablespoon of the olive oil. Transfer to the grill with the spears facing perpendicular to the grates. Use tongs to turn them as they get grill marks on the bottom, until they are cooked to your liking, anywhere from 4 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus and how well you like them cooked. Don’t forget that they will continue to cook a bit after you remove them from the heat.
- Transfer them to a serving platter and drizzle over the vinaigrette. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved