Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Feta and Herbed Mayonnaise
A quick summery meal that can be made ahead. Skip the bacon and it's vegetarian!Katie Workman pasta salad, potluck, summer
Serving Size: Serves 4
I am getting so much mileage out of my little Herbed Mayonnaise recipe. Having a tub of that in the fridge literally means that a new summery meal is but moments away. It was the most fun condiment I’ve made in a while (wow, that’s a weird sentence). Because of its mere existence, this Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Feta and Herbed Mayonnaise came together in a flash, and it was absolutely delicious.
You can make this Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Feta and Herbed Mayonnaise up to a day or two ahead of time, knowing that because it will have to be refrigerated the tomatoes won’t be a luscious as tomatoes that have never seen the inside of a fridge. If all all possible, never put tomatoes in the fridge.
You could make all of the components of this salad, toss the pasta with the olive oil, and then keep everything separate (pasta, feta and mayo refrigerated) for up to three day and toss before serving. That’s the best case scenario. The bacon is best added at the last minute so it keeps a bit of crunch. But when all is said and done, this entire salad is lovely to pull out of the fridge at any time, and leftovers make a perfect lunch.
There are a lot of tomatoes in this salad—I like pasta salads with lots of vegetables. Makes me feel much better about copious amounts of pasta salad on my plate.
You could add cooked shredded or cubed chicken or cooked shrimp to this for a great main course salad. Skip the bacon if you want a creamy summery, vegetarian pasta side salad.
Try all of these pasta salads this summer:
- Simple Vegetarian Spring Pasta Salad
- Pasta Salad with Chicken, Green Olives, and Ramp Vinaigrette
- Greek Chicken Pasta Salad
- ½ pound chunky shaped cooked pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup Herbed Mayonnaise plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup crumbled cooked bacon or bacon lardons optional
- Toss the pasta with the olive oil, cherry tomatoes, and feta. Add about ¼ cup of the herbed mayo and toss until everything is well coated. Add more mayo by the tablespoon if it seems dry. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed, remembering that you will be adding bacon (if you are adding bacon), which will add saltiness and pepperiness.
- Just before serving, toss in the bacon if desired.