I loved every bite of the holidays. I loved the mashed potatoes, and the pies, and the cornbread stuffing, and I’m not go to look back with regret. I am however, not going to continue eating this way indefinitely. And this Thai Cucumber Salad is why I’m not so sad about that.
Lots of us are crazy about Thai food, with those bright vibrant flavors, exciting textures, and the play of sweet and sour and salty happening in so many ways. Lemongrass, chilies, coconut milk, these ingredients are now popping up all over the country at supermarkets and it’s so much fun to work them into your home cooking.
This simple salad features crunchy cucumbers, enhanced with just a bit of citrus, soy sauce and a few other Thai ingredients. Cilantro (sometimes also called Chinese parsley) is an herb people usually love or hate – few people feel “meh” about it, so if it’s not your thing, or someone at the table doesn’t like it, serve it on the side and let people add it to their own salads as they wish.
If you want to bump up the flavor even further, substitute fish sauce for half of the soy sauce. It will add a layer of pungency to the dish, and even more authentic Thai flavor.
It’s not hard on the eyes, either….
Other Thai-Inspired Recipes:
Thai Cucumber Salad
- 2 seedless cucumber
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons less sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup salted cocktail peanuts lightly crushed
- Peel the cumbers, slice them in half lengthwise and remove any seeds with a teaspoon. Slice the cucumber into very thin slices crosswise, using a sharp knife or a mandolin. Trim the jalapeno, slice lengthwise, remove the seeds and finely mince.
- In a large bowl combine the jalapeno, shallots, soy sauce, lime juice, sugar and stir to combine. Add in the cucumber and toss to combine. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or platter, top with the cilantro and the peanuts and serve.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved