A cucumber salad is one of the easiest and cleanest ways to round out a meal, any time of year. It’s cheap, it’s pretty, it’s so easy to make, and it takes about 10 minutes start to finish.
This version presents such a nice contrast between the crunch of the cucumbers and the onions, and the creaminess of the dressing. And it comes together in about 15 minutes (minus the refrigeration time, which you could skip if you were in a hurry).
What Kind of Cucumber to use in Cucumber Salad
If the skin of your cucumber is quite thin and tender, you don’t have to peel them. Otherwise, peeling the cucumber makes for a more delicate salad. You can also use regular cucumbers, sliced in half, lengthwise, seeded and cut into half moons. Try and use seedless or English cucumbers if you can, as they have fewer seeds and a thinner skin than regular old cucumbers. (Funny that this is one case where being thin skinned is a good thing, said the person who no one would mistake for a thick-skinned person.)
Cucumber Salad Variations
Sub in 1 cup of sliced scallions, white and green parts, for the red onions if you prefer. You might also think of adding a cup of cooked corn kernels to this for a summery twist. I think for the holidays a half cup or more of pomegranate seeds would be absolutely gorgeous strewn over the top. I also like reasons to say and write the word strewn.
What to Serve with Cucumber Salad
It would be terrific alongside a burger (here a Greek Turkey Burger, and we held the tzatziki because, you know, cucumber overload is a thing). A scoop of classic potato salad flanks the cucumbers and the burger.
A cucumber salad is one of the easiest and cleanest ways to round out a meal, any time of year. This version presents such a nice contrast between the crunch of the cucumbers and the onions, and the creaminess of the dressing.Tweet This
Serve Creamy Cucumber Salad with:
- Simple Herbed Grilled Chicken
- Poached Salmon with Cilantro Sauce
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Chops
- Alaska Rockfish Tacos
- Salmon with Tarragon Vinaigrette
- Dijon and Honey Crusted Pork Tenderloins
- Greek Roasted Chicken Thighs
Other Cucumber Salads:
- Tomato, Avocado and Cucumber Salad
- Thai Cucumber Salad
- Greek Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- Corn, Cucumber and Cantaloupe Salsa
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups thinly sliced baby cucumbers
- 1 medium-size red onion halved and very thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese, optional
- Mix together the sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, dill, chives, salt and pepper in a serving bowl. Add the cucumbers and onion, and toss well to coat evenly with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 5 hours.
- Distribute the feta or goat cheese over, if using, and toss again. Serve.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved