Browning bananas = banana bread. Old rice = fried rice. Slightly stale bread = French toast……or bread pudding……or stratas.
As the self-anointed queen of leftovers (no, no….please, don’t bow, it’s nothing quite so formal), I make it my mission to redeploy anything I can into a new meal.
This breakfast bread pudding (or strata) was the happy collection of leftover sausage (from a pasta dish), leftover challah, and shredded cheese, which I always have in the fridge.
How to Make Savory Challah Bread Pudding
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13, or 2 1/2 to 3-quart baking pan, or spray it lightly with nonstick spray.
In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, salt (go easy on the salt as the sausage and cheese are salty), pepper, mustard and honey.
Place the bread, cheddar, and sausage in the baking pan, toss to combine.
Then pour the liquid over, and toss the everything so the bread is soaked with the milk mixture.
Spread out in the pan.
Bake for about 40 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
And the result is that happiest of words: brunch. (I read somewhere that a brunch without booze is just a sad, late breakfast. That’s pretty extreme, but also pretty funny, and you are more than welcome to add a nice mocktail or cocktail to the equation).
A savory bread pudding, or strata, is great way to make a hearty breakfast for a big group.Tweet This
More Brunch Recipes:
If this to be part of a bigger brunch festival, here are some more dishes to consider adding to the mix:
- Sour Cream Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Blintzes with Sour Cream, Cottage Cheese and Berries – Making your own blintzes is so much easier than you might think, and a lot can be done ahead of time
- Shakshuka with Swiss Chard – Essentially this eggs gently cooked in a vibrant tomato sauce,in this case laced with little piles of chard. The sprinkle of feta on top is a great fresh burst of salty/creamy at the end.
- Migas – A madcap scramble of eggs, tortilla chips, peppers, onions and cheese is the kind of breakfast that make a whole lot of people a whole lot of happy
- Fried Eggs and Smoked Salmon over Polenta Cakes – The polenta cakes are made the day before, so it mostly frying eggs and assembly.
- Lazy Oven French Toast
- Vegetable Frittata
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Breakfast Challah, Smoked Cheddar and Sausage Bread Pudding
- 3 cups milk preferably whole
- 8 large eggs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 cups cubed challah
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 ½ cups crumbled cooked sausage, turkey or pork
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13, or 2 1/2 to 3-quart baking pan, , or spray it lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, salt (go easy on the salt as the sausage and cheese are salty), pepper, mustard and honey.
- Place the bread, cheddar, and sausage in the baking pan, toss to combine, then pour the liquid over, and toss the everything so the bread is soaked with the milk mixture.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved