Easy Chocolate Mousse
on Dec 14, 2018, Updated Aug 17, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy chocolate dessert (gluten free!) with whipped cream is a light, fluffy, cool, creamy and seriously indulgent.
My kids just got home from camp. It’s been mere hours, so we are all still completely delighted by the pleasure of each other’s company. The first of about 37 loads of vile laundry are in the wash, Charlie is popping antibiotics and soaking his foot because he stepped on a rusty nail the day we got there to pick him up, and Jack is taking what must be the best and most necessary shower of his life. For the moment, everything is in its place.
And I am doing the thing I do at this moment in the lifecycle of our year, which is asking the kids what they want for dinner on their first night back, and making a shopping list. Today it is macaroni and cheese, salad with vinaigrette (which is an always for us) and then there was a request for chocolate pudding.
This Easy Chocolate Mousse with whipped cream is cool, creamy and seriously indulgent.Tweet This
But while the pudding I often make, from The Mom 100, is pretty awesome, it is quite rich and dairy-laden and serious, and I can’t quite envision it as the ending to a mac and cheese dinner on an August night.
So, I made this easy chocolate mousse instead. Yes, it has uncooked eggs in it—I buy them fresh when I am using them raw and have never (knock wood) had a problem. This is still quite richly chocolatey, but with much less dairy (yes, of course there is whipped cream, I’m not a monk).
Click here for instructions on how to make perfect whipped cream (also a video!). And know that between the chocolate and the little bit of coffee it might well be a late night. But hey, the kids were happy. Kind of ecstatic.
And we parents do like to remind our kids that there’s no place like home.
Other Chocolate Recipes:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie
- Cookies and Cream Chocolate Oreo Milkshake
- Fudgy Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Banana Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares
- Chocolate Vanilla Cake
- Ebinger’s Blackout Cake
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Easy Chocolate Mousse
- Combine the chocolate, butter, sugar and coffee in a small heavy saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until the chocolate is just melted and everything is smooth. Remove from the heat, stir in the salt, and transfer to a mixing bowl, and cool to warm room temperature.
- In a clean, dry bowl using an electric mixer blend the egg whites on medium-high speed until they form stiff peaks.
- Stir the egg yolks and vanilla into the cooled chocolate until well combined. In two batches, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture just until combined, but still a little bit streaky. Transfer to 4 individual serving cups or ramekins. Chill for at least 4 hours. Serve chilled with sweetened whipped cream.