This salad has so much going on, it actually feels kind of joyful. Which is quite a thing to say about a dish made with brussels sprouts, I know, but it’s true.
You can use grated Pecorino Romano, but I really like it shaved super thin, which you do can with a vegetable peeler. No need to worry about the pieces being the same size, or breaking — all that that is part of the pleasure of this salad, where every mouthful feels a bit different from the one before and the one after.
Slicing Apple For Salad
You can slice the apple any way you like, or cube it, but I like small very thin slices. To slice the apple, just cut two flat almost-halves from the apple, just on either side of the core. Place the halves on a cutting board, slice them in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into thin slivers. Cut the two remaining side chunks from the apple core, and slice them crosswise thinly as well. You can also just cut the apple into quarters, core them, and then slice them crosswise.
I love Brussels sprouts prepared this way year-round. They work on for a fall or winter dinner, they work on a holiday table, they would be welcome at a picnic, they hold up beautifully on buffets, whatever the season. You could play around with the fruit, both fresh and dried, changing things up with the time of year. Pears would be good, peeled orange segments, grapes – if you are a fan of fruit in salad, this would be a good place to experiment.
Brussels Sprouts, Pecorino and Apple Salad: This substantial salad is kind of joyful, with loads of different textures and flavors combining in every bite.Tweet This
What to Serve with Brussels Sprouts, Pecorino and Apple Salad:
- Chipotle Barbecue Turkey Burgers
- Fall-Apart Roasted Pork Shoulder with Rosemary Mustard and Garlic
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Easy Roasted Thanksgiving Turkey
- Simple Lemon-Garlic Roasted Turkey Breast
- Barbacoa Beef in the Slow Cooker
Other Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipes:
- Creamy Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- Brussels Sprouts, Apple, and Pomegranate Slaw Salad
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad with Anchovy Vinaigrette
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Brussels Sprouts, Pecorino and Apple Salad
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 green apple , cut into thin 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup very thinly shaved Pecorino Romano
- ½ cup dried cranberries , cherries or chopped dried apricots
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 large shallot , halved and thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Trim the bottoms from the brussels sprouts and slice them thinly using the slicing blade of a food processor, a sharp knife and cutting board, or a mandoline. Place them on a cutting board and give them a rough chop with a sharp knife.
- Place the Brussels sprouts, apples, Pecorino Romano and dried fruit in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, or container, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, shallot and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine well. Transfer to a serving bowl.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved