We went to lunch at a friend’s house recently, and on the table was the prettiest slaw I ever did see. This is my best shot at recreating it. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then go back for more the next day.
Brussels Sprouts Slaw
The base is slivered Brussels sprouts, which are then roughly chopped. You can easily buy thinly sliced Brussels sprouts, and then just give them a rough chop with a heavy knife on a cutting board. I started with whole Brussels sprouts, gave them a run through the slicing blade of the food processor, and then a rough chop with a knife. Great texture. (I wouldn’t pulse them in the food processor with the regular blade, or use the chopping blade, because I think that would result in too fine a chop and you’d lose the appeal of this nubbbly texture).
A burst of color and texture and sweet tart flavor comes form the pomegranate seeds. Truly, if you want to give almost any salad a holiday flair, a few handfuls of pomegranate seeds will do the trick every time.
Pomegranate seeds, or arils, are also available in the produce area in small containers – they may be a little pricy, but frankly, once you wrestle the seeds from the pomegranate a few times, you’ll understand why that few extra dollars is worth it (P.S. I love opening up a fresh pomegranate and getting the seeds out for munching, but it’s somewhat like a lobster [which I also love] – you have to be in the mood for the process. Which I’m not in this case – I want the salad.)
(If you’re wondering what that sexy looking salmon pasta salad is on the upper left, click here.)
Add more sweet tartness from a thinly sliced green apple. But actually a sweeter red apple would be great too – just make sure you are working with a crisp apple. No mealiness allowed.
The dressing pulls it all together, and has a lot going on – creamy and bright and shallot-ey and just delicious. Make this a few hours ahead of time, or the morning of, and keep it in the fridge.
What to Serve Brussels Sprouts, Apple, and Pomegranate Slaw Salad with:
Other Brussels Sprouts Recipes:
Brussels Sprouts, Apple, and Pomegranate Slaw Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts sliced and then roughly chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 apples cut into thin 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard preferably grainy
- 1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup finely minced shallot
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place the Brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, and apple slices in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, or container, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, mayonnaise, honey, shallot and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine well. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved