Apple Muffins with Streusel Topping
The word butter brings me joy. The words brown butter (or browned butter), make me giddy. Oh, also the word muffin is happy-making, and the word streusel — pure delight.
Streusel Topping for Muffins
The streusel makes the muffin. A crunchy, sugary bumpy topping that provides crackling sweetness and texture. I skip the nuts in the streusel because I am allergic, but you can add some in if you like! Chopped walnuts or pecans, about 1/2 cup would be perfect.
If your streusel overflows a bit that’s ok. You may want to use a knife to gently separate any extra streusel from the muffin pan so that your muffins pop out without tearing.
What Kind of Apples to Use in Apple Muffins
Even before you get to the streusel these apple muffins are a treat: moist, tender, with nice chunks of apple throughout. You can use any baking apple here, from Honeycrisp to Granny Smith to Pink Lady to Gala. The muffins will take on the personality of the apples. Use a combo if you want different levels of apple flavor.
If you don’t have the ground cloves or ginger, the cinnamon will be enough to give the muffins that wonderful autumnal flavor.
Brown Butter Apple Streusel Muffins: Tender apple studded muffins are topped with crunchy, sweet topping for a perfect snack or breakfast treat.Tweet This
Other Muffin Recipes:
Other Apple Recipes:
- Favorite Streusel Apple Crisp
- Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
- The Best Streusel Apple Pie Ever
- Dutch Baby Pancake with Sauteed Apples
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Brown Butter Apple Streusel Muffins
For the Streusel:
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup walnuts , finely chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter , chilled and cut into little pieces
For the Apple Muffins:
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large apples , peeled, cored, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray, or line the cups with paper liners, and spray those with nonstick spray.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt the butter, stirring occasionally, and allow it to get medium brown; not too dark, but deeper than golden. It should smell toasty and nutty. Set aside to cool.
- Make the streusel: in a medium bowl combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Stir in the walnuts if using. Add the chilled butter and use your fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is coarsely crumbly. Set aside in a cool place.
- In a medium bowl toss the apples with the lemon juice. Set aside. In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooled browned butter, eggs, milk or yogurt, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl in two batches, stirring each batch into the wet mixture just until incorporated; you should still see a few streaks of flour. Fold in the apples, just until they are incorporated; do not overmix.
- Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to fill the prepared muffin tins ¾ full. Evenly distribute the streusel over the tops of the batter.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, or with just a crumb or two clinging to it.
- Cool in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn the muffins out of the tin and finish cooling on the rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved
my one year old loves them! This Is the first successful home made muffin I have made lol it was sooo delicious, perfect amount of sweetness and love the tender apples