Chicken Paprikash is a classic Hungarian dish, and the very definition of comfort food. And it comes together really nicely in the Instant Pot, which is cementing itself into the modern kitchen.
How to Make Chicken Paprikash in the Instant Pot
The chicken is browned using the sauté function, and then set aside.
Then saute up the onions, garlic and some simple seasoning – including lots of paprika. Add some flour stir to let that get toasty, and then pour in broth to form a savory sauce to finish cooking the chicken in.
Then you shift over to the pressure cooker function, set it, let it go for 20 minutes, then let the pressure come down.
This Hungarian comfort food classic is delicious, and so perfectly suited to being made in the Instant Pot.Tweet This
Serve up the chicken and stir the sour cream into the sauce in the pot. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with parsley and serve hot over noodles.
A lovely cold weather meal that should make it onto your table at least once this winter.
Serve Instant Pot Chicken Paprikash with:
- Mixed Greens with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Romaine and Slivered Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Romaine, Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Endive, Radicchio and Citrus Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
- Green Beans with Tarragon Vinaigrette
- Light Green Crunchy Salad
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Instant Pot Chicken Paprikash
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs about 8 large pieces
- Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked or hot paprika optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Cooked hot egg noodles to serve
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in the Instant Pot in the Saute mode. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, skin side down, and cook for about 8 minutes, until the skin is nicely crispy. Flip the chicken and cook for another 6 minutes or so until the bottom of the chicken is nicely browned (it should not be cooked through). Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion. Sauté for about 3 minutes, until soft and golden brown. Stir in the garlic and sauté for another minute. Stir in the flour and the paprika, as well as the additional paprika if using, until is all well incorporated into the oil, one more minute. Stir in the bay leaves, tomatoes, and broth.
- Return the partially cooked chicken to the liquid, skin side up. Close and lock the lid. Set the valve to Sealing. Press Cancel, then press Manual or Pressure Cook and use the Pressure Level Button to select high pressure. Set the timer for 20 minutes. Note that the timer will not start to count down until the correct pressure has been achieved.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, press Cancel. Let the pressure come down slowly for 10 minutes. Release the sealing valve, and let the rest of the steam escape. Meanwhile, place the cooked egg noodles in a shallow serving bowl or platter. Open the pot, and use tongs to place the chicken on the noodles. Remove the bay leaves from the sauce, and stir in the sour cream. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle the dish with parsley.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved