This is such a good combination of textures and flavors. Crunch from the lettuce and onions, tenderness from the pears and olives, creaminess from the cheese. And then a mix of salty and sweet and fresh and spicy and tangy. There is a lot going on in the bowl, but it’s very straightforward to put together.
There are only a few things to keep in mind for this to be one of the most delicious and prettiest (but simple) salads you will have this fall. One, slice the onions very, very thinly – it makes such a difference. Two, keep some of the add-ins (onions, olives, pears) to the side when you toss the salad, and sprinkle them over the top, which add a great bit of color at the end.
Serve this with any fall meal, and think about it if you need a salad to round out Thanksgiving dinner, or another holiday extravaganza. You could also add a handful of dried cranberries for both color and a burst of sweet tartness.
Other Great Fall and Holiday Table Salads:
- Romaine and Slivered Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Endive Salad with Pear and Creamy Herb Dressing
- Endive, Arugula and Orange Salad
- Fennel and Endive Salad
- Brussels Sprouts, Apple, and Pomegranate Slaw Salad
- Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad with Anchovy Vinaigrette
- Wild Rice and Broccolini Salad
- Green Bean Salad with Clementine Oranges and Feta
- Red Salad with Citrus, Honey and Thyme Vinaigrette
- Endive, Radicchio and Citrus Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
Romaine, Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
For the Dressing
For the Salad
- 6 cups slivered romaine lettuce
- ½ red onion very thinly sliced
- ½ cup halved pitted green olives
- ⅓ cup crumbled fresh feta cheese
- 1 ripe but firm pear cut into small pieces
- In a small bowl or container combine the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine the lettuce and half of the onion, olives, feta, and pear. Gently toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter, and sprinkle over the rest of the onions, olives, feta and pears. Finish with a bit of salt and and pepper and serve immediately.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved