Some of my favorite recipes just happen on the spot. This was the happy lovechild of a photo shoot, as a number of my recipes are. We had made a creamy avocado dip/spread, some simply cooked chicken, and some bacon, and had come ciabatta rolls on hand and gosh darn it if we didn’t think to put them all together into one delightful sandwich.
Chicken Sandwich Basics
You can use any cooked chicken you have around, from rotisserie chicken. For this sandwich I like sliced breast meat, though you could use a thin cooked chicken cutlet, or sliced thigh meat as well. And even though it’s not much of a recipe, if you don’t feel like making the avocado dip/spread, and you want to sub in sliced avocado, surely do that.
A creamy avocado spread turns a chicken sandwich into a lunch to remember (and the bacon doesn’t hurt).Tweet This
I feel like the bacon is non-negotiable, but that’s a personal opinion. And if you prefer to use slices of country white bread or sourdough or another type of roll instead of the ciabatta, it’s all good.
Browning the bread first makes a world of difference. All you have to do is heat a bit of butter, or maybe olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and when it’s melted hot, place the bread cut side down in the pan and let it sit for about 2 minutes until the underside is browned in spots. Then proceed with the sandwich building.
Slather that bread with the avocado spread. If you’re really feeling it, you might spread of the top and the bottom of the roll with it. I added in some fresh baby spinach, which I had on hand, and I think arugula would also be a nice addition.
I served the sandwich with Herb Orzo Salad (recipe coming!). It’s not like the sandwich needs a side, or maybe it just needs a handful of potato chips, but it sure did make a pretty plate.
What to Serve with Chicken, Bacon, and Avocado Spread Sandwich:
- Herb Orzo Salad
- Grilled Onions (pile them right in there)
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Slivered Wedge Salad with Buttermilk Dressing and Bacon
- Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Feta and Herbed Mayonnaise
Other Sandwich Recipes to Check Out:
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Turkey Reuben Sandwiches
- The Classic Bacon, Egg and Cheese Sandwich
- The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Chicken, Bacon, and Avocado Spread Sandwich
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 ciabatta rolls , cut in half (or other bread of your choice)
- 4 tablespoons Creamy Avocado Dip
- 1 cooked chicken breast (6 to 8-ounce), sliced, or the equivalent amount of sliced chicken
- 4 pieces cooked bacon
- Handful baby spinach
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt and coat the bottom of the pan, or heat the oil. Place the bread, cut side down, in the pan, and let sit for about 2 minutes, until it is browned in spots. Remove from the pan and place on a cutting board or plate. Season both sides with salt and pepper
- Spread the avocado dip on one or both halves of the bread. Layer on the chicken, bacon, and spinach, if using on the bottom half. Top the sandwiches with the rest of the rolls and serve.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved