Isn’t it a wonderful thing to be reminded that simpler is better? Especially in the kitchen? Especially during the hotter months in the kitchen when even those of us who love do cook, kind of can’t take the heat any more?
Cooked Chicken in Salads– Rotisserie or Homemade
Don’t worry if you aren’t in the mood to make your own chicken for this salad. A rotisserie chicken is perfect, or perhaps you have some leftover cooked chicken breasts. Just shred or cube up two cups and you are good to go. Try Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken!
The avocado cubes may get a little dinged up as you toss them with the rest of the ingredients, but that’s ok; they will add creaminess to the dressing. Make this shortly before serving, or add the avocado right at the end so it will stay bright green.
Chunky and creamy and satisfying. This, like pretty much all salads, is a super flexible recipe.Tweet This
Chicken and Avocado Salad Variations
This, like pretty much all salads, is a super flexible recipe. If you’ve got something leftover in your fridge, from a different kind of citrus juice to some other seasonal vegetables, by golly toss them in.
You can subtitute in:
- Lime juice for lemon juice
- Chopped red or yellow onion for the scallions
- Shrimp for the chicken
- Creamy Avocado Dressing for the vinaigrette
You can add in:
- ½ cup cooked corn kernels
- ½ cup drained and rinsed black beans
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapano
Other Hearty Main Course Chicken Salad Recipes:
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Chopped Salad with Chicken, Tomatoes and Lemon Thyme Dressing
- Indonesian Chicken Salad
- Smoky Chipotle Chicken Salad
- Pasta Salad with Chicken and Chipotle Dressing
- Chicken Satay Salad
- Pasta Salad with Chicken, Green Olives, and Ramp Vinaigrette
- Greek Chicken Pasta Salad
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Chicken and Avocado Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- ½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken breasts (about 2 6-ounce boneless skinless breasts)
- 1 ripe avocado cut into small cubes
- ½ cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, lime juice, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro (if using) and salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken, avocado and tomatoes and toss to coat with the dressing. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.