This was one of the best chopped salads ever, just that perfect summer lunch.
The only other ingredient is outside, meaning if you can eat it outside, it will taste all the better.
We are total salad freaks in my house, and this one’s pretty easy on the eyes. Use whatever leftover cooked chicken you have around, or some meat from a rotisserie chicken – I used one remaining large chicken breast I had marinated in an herby marinade and sauteed up, and it was perfect. This would be another perfect choice.
Also, it’s tomato time. If you want to use any other kind of tomatoes here, feel free – dice them if they are big ones, and maybe even use a couple of different kinds. The more tomato, the more color, the better.
Obviously use different colored bell peppers, add halved and sliced radishes, or cubed small zucchini or whatever summer vegetables are inspiring you or begging to be put to good use. And of course use any color onion you have around – but the red or purple ones have some curb appeal.
Summer in a bowl, my friends…summer in a bowl. I know the phrase salad days was originally coined (by Shakespeare no less) to describe a period of time when someone was young and inexperienced…green, as it were, and so…salad days. Fun fact, right?
But summer salad days are just awesome.
If you are grilling up chicken or steak ever, at any point, at any time, it would behoove you to make extra for reasons such as this. It just won’t go to waste. You can also use it in:
- Spinach, Mushroom, and Chicken Quesadillas
- Pasta Salad with Chicken and Chipotle Dressing
- Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Spicy Thai Chicken and Rice Noodle Soup
- Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Sate Salad
- Chicken, Bacon and Corn Chowder
- Greek Chicken Pasta Salad
Chopped Salad with Chicken, Tomatoes and Lemon Thyme Dressing
For the Chopped Salad
- 2 heads hearts of romaine thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- ½ red onion slivered and roughly chopped
- ⅔ cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup cucumbers sliced into half moons
- 1 cup corn cooked
- Make the Lettuce: Pile the lettuce in a large shallow serving bowl. Arrange the tomatoes, pepper, onion, feta, chicken, and cucumber on top of the lettuce.
- Make the Dressing: In a small container combine the olive oil, lemon juice, rice vinegar, Dijon and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved