How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
It was my younger son Charlie who turned me on to Buffalo Chicken Pizza. I was skeptical at first; it seemed like a mashup up of incongruous ingredients that wouldn’t add up to something cohesive. But was I ever wrong – buffalo chicken pizza is the greatest.
Refrigerated Pizza Dough
If I am being honest (and I am!) I would have to say that about 90 percent of my pizza making involves purchased pizza dough. I don’t usually have the foresight or the energy to make my own dough very often. And when I discovered Jus-Rol pizza dough, I knew my life was about to change. More specifically, I knew there would be a lot more last minute homemade pizza nights in my house. (That’s a very good life change, in my book.)
Jus-Rol is available in the refrigerated dairy case, and comes rolled on baking paper for easy unrolling, easy baking, and easy cleanup – tell me this isn’t appealing in the homemade pizza department? It contains only non-GMO ingredients, no artificial flavors or colors, and no high fructose corn syrup. Visit this link and check out their store locator to find this delicious pizza dough and other refrigerated doughs near you!
What is in Buffalo Chicken Pizza?
Buffalo Chicken pizza, as the name suggests, is a combination of pizza and buffalo chicken – in this case not wings, of course, but cooked chicken tossed with that inimitable buffalo sauce. The buffalo sauce is made from hot sauce plus butter. Then there is an optional creamy-spicy drizzle which I highly encourage – it really makes the pizza!
Pizza Dough – I picked the Round & Thin version of Jus-Rol pizza dough for this recipe – the trattoria-style pizza dough bakes up perfectly crispy, and is the perfect base for a generous pile of toppings.
Chicken – another great shortcut is that you can use chicken from a rotisserie chicken. Just remove the skin, and dice up the breast meat. If you want to use any other type of simply cooked white meat chicken, go for it. Dice the chicken into ½-inch pieces so they stay put as a topping. Or use leftover slow cooker shredded chicken.
Buffalo Sauce – this is simply a combo of melted butter and hot sauce. Frank’s Red Hot is the traditional sauce used in “Buffalo” recipes, but you should feel free to play around with what you have on hand, tasting to see how spicy your sauce is. Some of the buffalo sauce is tossed with the chicken, some is spread on the pizza dough base so you get maximum buffalo flavor in every bite.
Mozzarella Cheese – the classic pizza cheese, and perfect as a mild, melty topping in this not-so-classic pizza.
Blue Cheese – and then some tangy blue cheese, which is the classic partner to Buffalo chicken wings! I love the combo of the two cheeses in this pizza.
Red Onion and Scallions – two members of the onion family add color and snap to this pizza.
Creamy Buffalo Sauce Topping
A bit more hot sauce is blended into a mixture of sour cream loosened with a tiny bit of milk. You can drizzle this over the pizza with a spoon, or if you have a squeeze bottle you can make nice squiggly lines over the top of the pie after it is baked. If you have crema you can use that instead of the sour cream and milk.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Crunchy Green Salad
- Endive and Radicchio Salad
- Red Salad with Citrus, Honey and Thyme Vinaigrette
- Kale Crunch Salad
- Romaine and Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Mixed Lettuce Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
This post is sponsored by Jus-Rol, but all opinions are my own!
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- 1 Jus-Rol Round & Thin Pizza Dough (7.8 ounce)
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter , melted
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ½ cup small diced red onion
- 2 scallions , thinly sliced, white and green parts
For the Creamy Buffalo Sauce (Optional):
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Let the pizza dough sit out at room temperature while you prepare the topping.
- Combine the melted butter, ¼ cup hot sauce, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Place the chicken in a medium bowl, pour over half of the hot sauce butter mixture and toss to coat well.
- Unroll the Jus-Rol pizza dough onto a rimmed baking sheet, so that it is on the parchment paper. Brush the remaining butter hot sauce mixture over the pizza dough, leaving a ½ inch border. Distribute the chicken evenly over the sauce, then sprinkle over the mozzarella and blue cheeses. Sprinkle the onions and scallions over the top.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the bottom is firm and golden brown around the edges, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before slicing and serving. While the pizza is cooking, mix up the Creamy Buffalo Sauce for the topping, if using. In a small bowl blend the hot sauce with sour cream and milk.
- After the baked pizza has rested for a minute or two, drizzle the sauce over the top of the pizza (use a squeeze bottle if you have one!), and serve hot.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved