Ok, when you are in autumn/winter/holiday salad mode, that’s a beautiful place to be. This one centers on roasted fennel, cooked with a dusting of Parmesan. The caramelized fennel then get chopped up a bit and tossed with spinach, arugula and red onion in a lemony vinaigrette.
Then the whole shebang is topped (if you wish!) with pepitas, which are roasted and hulled pumpkin seeds. Seriously seek these out – they are amazing (I love this brand). And if you are someone like me who is allergic to nuts, these can be a terrific allergy-free addition to all kinds of soups and salads and even pestos,
This fall-winter salad includes roasted fennel, cooked with a dusting of Parmesan, plus spinach, arugula and red onion in a lemony vinaigrette.Tweet This
Here is the Spinach Salad with Roasted Fennel alongside Brussels Sprouts, Pecorino and Apple Salad and Green Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash, Pears, and Goat Cheese (recipes coming soon, promise!). Hard to choose right? In a perfect world, maybe you make more than one. Or just keep these others in mind for the future.
Roasted Vegetables in Salads
Summer salads kind of make themselves, but cold weather salads take thought, and can actually be more interesting. You can also take this as an invitation to consider adding leftover roasted vegetables to other leafy green salads. I love the textural contrast, and cooked vegetables make green salads feel instantly more robust, even main course-worthy.
I might also serve this salad with some slices of leftover cold chicken on top, for a luxurious lunch.
More Spinach Recipes:
- Roasted Chickpea, Apple and Feta Salad
- Fully Loaded Spinach Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese
- Shiitake Mushroom and Spinach Dumplings
- Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet
Also Read: How to Saute Spinach.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Spinach Salad with Roasted Fennel
- 2 large fennel bulbs , trimmed and sliced into thick wedges
- 6 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice or white wine vinegar
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups baby arugula
- ½ red onion , thinly sliced
- ½ cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds; optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the fennel on a rimmed baking sheet, preferably lined with foil or parchment paper. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, toss, and spread out in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the Parmesan, and roast for 40 to 45 minutes until browned and tender. Let cool on the baking sheet to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the salad. In a large bowl, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) olive oil, the lemon juice, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir then add the spinach, arugula, and red onion and toss to coat with the dressing. Add the cooled fennel and toss again. Sprinkle with the pepita seeds and serve.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved