Orzo Feta Spinach Salad
An orzo salad studded with vegetables is always a terrific idea to add to pretty much any menu. This one is very simple, with barely wilted spinach adding color and nutrition and freshness to the pasta.
Dressing for Orzo Salad
This dressing is as simple as the salad, basically a mixture of oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. The onions that have been sauteed with the spinach are then distributed throughout with the greens, adding sweetness and bite at the same time.
The feta is optional, but without it you have a vegan salad, so you might think about offering crumbled feta on the side so those who wish to add it can. Or take out half of the spinach orzo salad, put it in one bowl, then toss in ½ cup crumbled feta into the rest of the salad, and serve a second bowl with that option. Other cheeses that would be nice are crumbled blue cheese, ricotta salata, or grated Parmesan.
Most orzo comes in packages with cooking directions on the side, but in general orzo should be cooked for about 7 to 10 minutes. Make sure you cook the orzo until it’s done to your liking, since you will rinse it with cold water once it’s drained, which will stop the cooking process.
Spinach Orzo Salad: An orzo salad with colorful, barely wilted spinach adds nutrition and freshness to the pasta.Tweet This
Make Ahead Orzo Salad
This spinach orzo salad can stay covered in the fridge for at least 3 days. If you are planning ahead, you might add the feta just before serving so that it stays in perky little crumbles. This is a very portable salad, perfect for picnics and potlucks.
What to Serve with Spinach Orzo Salad:
- Greek Lamb Kebabs
- Grilled Salmon
- Indian-Inspired Lamb Kebabs
- Alaska Rockfish Tacos
- Citrus Basil Shrimp Kebabs
- Pan Seared Fish with Tomato Basil Relish
Other Orzo Recipes:
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Spinach Orzo Salad
- 12 ounces dried orzo
- ¼ cup olive oil , divided
- 1 onion , chopped (yellow or red)
- 8 cups roughly chopped spinach
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Cook the orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking. Let it sit in the colander while you finish the vegetables and the dressing.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and saute for about 2 minutes until the onions just start to soften. Add the spinach and continue to saute until the spinach is just barely wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the colander with the orzo.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper. Add the cooled orzo and spinach and the feta, if using and toss. Serve at room temperature.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved