A lot of people think of haystack cookies during the holidays and s’mores during the summer. But upon further reflection, you can kind of swap the thought – s’mores require heat, which is not always so welcome on a hot summer night. And no-bake haystacks don’t require any cooking, so that’s an enticing summer thought.
So there I was wanding down the baking aisle of the market, and I spotted a stack of S’more Baking Chips Mixes, which happened to be made by Hershey. Lightbulbs went off. And this haystack cookie was born.
No-Bake Haystack Cookies
Haystacks are no-bake cookies made with melted chocolate and crunchy lo mein noodles. The melted chocolate basically binds together the noodles which stay crunchy, and you can add in all kinds of things from crushed peanuts to pretzels, and in this case – tiny marshmallows, chocolate bits, and teeny graham cracker squares.
S’Mores Haystack Cookies: A baking mix of milk chocolate chips, tiny marshmallows, and itty bitty graham squares turns haystacks into a s’mores-inspired cookie.Tweet This
Melting Chocolate for Haystack Cookies
You can melt chocolate in a microwave or a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler you can make one by nestling a metal or heatproof glass bowl over a pot with a bit of water in the bottom – bring the water to a boil, and stir the chips frequently until they melt. If you want to melt it in the microwave do it in a glass bowl in short 20 second or so bursts, stirring after each burst, until the chiocolate is all melted and smooth.
Other No-Bake Haystack Cookie Recipes:
Other S’Mores Recipes:
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
S’Mores Haystack Cookies
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (7-ounce) package S’more Baking Chips Mix
- 1 6-ounce package chow mein noodles (3 ½ cups)
- Melt the milk and semisweet chips in a double boiler (see Note 1) or using the microwave, stopping the microwave and giving the chips a stir every 15 to 20 seconds until they are melted.
- Place the noodles in a large bowl. Pour the melted chocolate over and stir to combine. Add half of the S’more Baking Chips Mix, and stir and toss until everything is evenly combined.
- Drop the mixture by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet. Use your fingers to tuck in a few extra bits of marshmallow, graham cracker, and chocolate squares around the tops of the haystacks, pushing them in slightly so they will stick. Allow to set (in warmer months this is best done in the fridge, though let them sit at room temperature for several minutes before serving).
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved