Sweet potato fans never tire of looking for new ways to prepare them. We love them mashed, we love them fried, we love them baked or roasted. I’ve made them into a spoonbread, a gratin, a pie.
This recipe was inspired by another smashed roasted sweet potato recipe. I liked the concept, but I decided to head in a slightly different direction, and the result was this smashed sweet potato recipe, which is substantial enough that it could qualify as a vegetarian main course. And like many people, I am always on the hunt for side dishes that can double as vegetarian mains.
How to Make Smashed Sweet Potatoes
You make a very simple garlic herb butter, and brush it over slices of sweet potato. You could also just toss the sweet potatoes with the garlic butter mixture in a bowl and then distribute them in a single layer on the baking sheet. I knew that, but I forgot that I knew that, so here I am, brushing away.
The potatoes are baked, and then you can use a potato masher, a fork (as here) or the bottom of a glass to smush the potatoes slightly. The skins holding the slices together will bust open a bit, and the circles will lose their clean edges, but that’s not a worry; it adds to their charm.
Tender with crispy edges, and a pop of salty cheese and fresh parsley, these savory sweet potatoes are an easy but festive side dish.Tweet This
Sprinkle a bit of feta over the tops of the potatoes and broil for a few minutes until the tops are golden and melty, and the edges are just a teeny bit browned.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
I buddied these up with some one sheet pork chops with salsa verde and broccoli rabe. This is one of those very satisfying fall or winter dinners that feels pretty special.
What to Serve with Smashed Garlic Butter Sweet Potatoes with Feta:
- Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Orange Salmon with Leeks and Mushrooms
- Lemon-Garlic Semi-Boneless Leg of Lamb
- Loin Lamb Chops with Roasted Tomato and Garlic Sauce
- Simple Lemon-Garlic Roasted Turkey Breast
Other Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- Mashed Yukon and Sweet Potatoes with Sauteed Leeks
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Spoonbread
- Bulgur Wheat, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Gratin
- Sweet Potato Fries with New Bay Seasoning
- Sweet Potato Pie with Whipped Cream
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Smashed Garlic Butter Sweet Potatoes with Feta
- 4 medium sweet potatoes scrubbed
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 3 tablespoons minced scallions
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Slice the potatoes into 1-inch thick rounds.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. You can either add the potato rounds and toss until they are coated with the butter mixture and then place them on the baking sheet in a single layer, with some space between the slices. Or, place the slices on the baking sheet and brush them on both sides with the garlic butter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until they are tender. Remove the potatoes and change the oven setting to the broiler. Use a potato masher, a fork, or the bottom of a glass to gently smush the potatoes so they end up being about ½-inch thick. The potatoes will lose their perfectly round shape as the potato mushes and the skin breaks a bit, but that’s ok.
- Sprinkle the feta evenly over the potatoes. Broil them for 2 to 4 minutes, until the cheese gets melty and slightly browned. Serve hot or warm, with the red pepper flakes and parsley or scallions sprinkled over the top.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved