Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad Wraps
If you have any extra chicken on hand -- grilled or not -- this is one heck of a way to use it.
Serving Size: Makes 6 wraps
Chicken Caesar Salad is one of the world’s greatest lunches, but it isn’t the prettiest thing to eat with your hands while on the go. That’s why some exceedingly smart person thought to put it into a wrap.
My family is in universal accord that this is an excellent sandwich, so now instead of picking them up at Le Something Or Other I figured out how to make them at home.
The chicken can be made ahead of time, and leftover chicken can be tossed into salads, whether they be green salads or grain or pasta salads.
Make a double batch of it if you’re looking for some nice flavorful grilled chicken to have around. The Caesar dressing can be made ahead and hang out in the fridge for up to 5 days.
It’s a thick dressing, but it can certainly be used in a salad, providing you toss it vigorously with the lettuce. The reason thick dressings get gloppy (and people use too much) is because we don’t take enough time to toss the lettuce and vegetables enough so the dressing coats everything evenly.
If you don’t have time to let the chicken marinate, don’t worry about it – the Caesar dressing is plenty flavorful. To that end, if you were really pinched for time you could just brush the chicken with olive oil, give it a sprinkle of salt and pepper and grill it without the lemony marinade.
I’m a big fan of the shortcut. Whatever gets you lunch or dinner on the table is very fair game.
More Sandwiches? You Bet:
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Chicken Sausage and Sautéed Greens Sub
- Sausage, Onions and Pepper Sub Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese with Roasted Peppers and Salad
- Prosciutto and Pork Banh Mi
- The Ultimate BLT Grilled Cheese
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad Wraps
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon very finely minced garlic
- 1 finely minced anchovy filet or ¼ teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- Coarse or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 hearts of romaine, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ½ red onion, thinly slivered
- 6 9 to 10-inch whole wheat or spinach wraps
1. In a shallow container, combine the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, and salt and pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat. If you have the time, marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2 to 6 hours before grilling – no worries if not.
2. Make the Caesar dressing: In a container with a lid, add the olive oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, anchovy (if using), salt and pepper. Cover tightly and shake to combine well. Add half the Parmesan and shake again to combine.
3. Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes per side, until cooked through, with nice grill marks on each side. Let the chicken cool slightly, then cut into small bite-sized pieces.
4. In a large bowl combine the chicken, romaine, and red onion with the dressing. Add the remaining Parmesan and toss again. Fill each wrap with about 1½ cups of the salad, and roll closed.