A tangy yogurt marinade is a beautiful thing. The yogurt tenderizes whatever marinates, thanks to the acid in the yogurt. But it works more efficiently and gently than more traditional acidic ingredients in marinades, like vinegar or citrus juices. You’ll want to let whatever you are marinating take some time to get all of the benefits of a yogurt marinade. The soft results will be worth your while.
But you don’t have to sacrifice a crispy exterior for a tender interior. Look at this crust – pretty gorgeous, right? I roasted these chicken thighs in an oven, but they would be great on the grill. If you want to use other pieces of bone-in-skin on chicken, go right ahead. I actually am now thinking that these would make amazing wings for a party.
A bit of lemon juice loosens the yogurt up nicely helps speed up the tenderization process, and along with the zest provides a tart citrus punch. Oregano, cumin and allspice give it a kind of Greek-meets-Middle east vibe.
Oregano, cumin and allspice give this super moist, crispy skinned chicken a kind of Greek-meets-Middle east vibe.Tweet This
Sharing the plate is Bulgur Wheat with Caramelized Onions and Parsley, Roasted Carrots with Tapanade Dressing, and Frisee, Radicchio and Escarole Salad with Citrus Dressing. Loads of color here, because of the mixed lettuce salad and the multi-colored carrots.
More Roasted Chicken Recipes:
- Roasted Chicken with Orange Honey Mustard Glaze
- Chicken Thighs Stuffed With Mushrooms
- Killer Roasted Marinated Chicken and Potatoes
- Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Yogurt Marinated Chicken
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or 1 ½ teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon coarse or kosher salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ½ pounds (6 to 8 pieces) chicken thighs
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice with the yogurt, garlic, oregano, cumin, allspice, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken in the marinade, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Roast the chicken for about 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is nicely browned.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved