Green Bean Nicoise Salad
Capers, shallots, Dijon, olives, sherry vinegar, fresh herbs - it’s really a vinaigrette on steroids.Katie Workman green bean, salad
Serving Size: Serves 4 to 6
Salad Nicoise is a Provencal style salad that features bites of tuna (fresh tuna seared and sliced, or good old tuna from a can), hard boiled eggs, green beans, black olives, tomatoes, onions, potatoes and an olive oil based vinaigrette, often involving capers. It’s bright and textural and sexy and it should be as much of a got-to main course salad as its American Cobb Salad cousin.
A great Nicoise salad is hard to beat, but it doesn’t have the ubiquitous popularity of some other salads in the US., like Caesar or Greek or Chef’s Salads. And that’s a shame, because a good Nicoise salad is immensely satisfying, terrifically flavorful, and not too hard on the eyes either (full salad Nicoise recipe coming soon, because I made myself want one by writing that).
Nicoise Green Beans
This is essentially like you pulled the dressed green beans from a Nicoise salad, without the rest of the Nicoise salad. And while I do love a good Nicoise salad, and am now thinking that might be coming up soon on this site, I was just looking for a nice summer side vs. a main dish salad.
Love these flavors—capers, shallots, Dijon, olives, sherry vinegar, fresh herbs. It’s really a vinaigrette on steroids. And while usually steroids are bad (not always), in this case I mean that in a highly complimentary way.
This Green Bean Nicoise Salad would be perfect to bring along on a picnic, perfect to bring to a potluck. But while something about them seems summery, and that’s when you can grab fresh green beans from the farmer’s market or your neighbor’s garden (I have given up on growing anything at this moment in time), they would be great all year round.Green Bean Nicoise Salad: Capers, shallots, Dijon, olives, sherry vinegar, fresh herbs—it’s really a vinaigrette on steroids.Click To Tweet
In this photo you’ll see a little assort of vegetable sides. Yeah, they’re not all based on the same seasons, but don’t they look nice together? That’s Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots with Olive Drizzle and Asparagus with Spinach-Basil Pesto Creme Fraiche flanking this dish. Pick and choose.
Serve these green beans up with anything from grilled chicken to roast turkey breast.
Here what you can pair with Green Bean Nicoise Salad:
- Grilled Chicken Breasts with Lime, Roasted Garlic and Fresh Herb Marinade and
Mediterranean Couscous, Swiss Chard, and Peppers
- Simple Herbed Grilled Chicken and Sesame-Honey Quinoa and Carrot Salad with Sliced Avocado
- Simple Lemon-Garlic Roasted Turkey Breast and Herb Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Loin Lamb Chops with Roasted Tomato and Garlic Sauce and mashed potatoes
- Honey-Hoisin Salmon and Perfect Rice
Other Green Bean Recipes:
Green Bean Nicoise Salad
- Method: Stovetop/Assembly
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 pound haricot vert or green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Have a large bowl of ice water nearby. Add the green beans to the pot and cook for 2 minutes for haricot vert, 3 minutes for regular green beans. Drain, then immediately plunge the beans into the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When cool, drain and shake off as much excess water as possible.
2. In a large bowl combine the olive oil, shallots, sherry vinegar, Dijon, capers, honey, salt and pepper, olives, basil and dill. Add the beans and toss to coat with the dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve at room temperature.