Honey Mustard Green Beans
on Nov 08, 2019, Updated Sep 17, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A simple (5-Minute!) honey mustard dressing transforms green beans into a flavorful side dish.
Honey and mustard are perfect partners, and here they make a lovely glaze for simply cooked green beans. This is the kind of recipe that makes you think, “Wow, these are so good” and “Wow, that was stupidly easy” at the same time. These also go with everything. In colder weather, think about Pan-Fried Pork Chops or Chicken Thighs Stuffed with Mushrooms. In warmer weather, think about Grilled Chicken Breasts or Oven Pulled Pork.
These beans are a tiny bit sweet and a tiny bit spicy, the honey tempers the sharpness of the mustard, and the mustard brightens the sugariness of the honey. There’s a reason this is many a restaurant’s go-to dipping sauce for things like chicken fingers and any fried bar-type food.
Table of Contents
Honey Mustard Greens: A simple (5-minute!) honey mustard dressing transforms green beans into a flavorful side dish.Tweet This
- Green beans – I used skinny haricot verts in this dish, but you can use regular green beans. Your basic string beans — or green beans — are thicker and will take an extra minute or two to cook.
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar – Or whatever vinegar you have; apple cider vinegar is a nice match-up to the honey, but it’s such a small amount that it doesn’t really matter.
- Extra virgin olive oil
Honey Mustard Green Bean Salad
As the recipe is written the warm side, you can also turn this into a cool green bean salad. Here’s what to do:
- Have a bowl of ice water at the ready when you start to cook your green beans.
- When they are done to your liking, drain them, and then instantly plunge them into the ice water bath to stop the cooking. This dip in the cold water will also lock in the beautiful bright green color of the string beans.
- Drain them again and then toss them with the dressing.
Now it’s a cold side dish, ready for buffets or picnics or to be packed up as part of a healthy brown bag lunch.
How to Make Honey Mustard Green Beans
- Cook the green beans: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just barely tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the honey, Dijon mustard, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss and serve: These can be served warm or at room temp.
What to Serve With Honey Mustard Green Beans
More Green Bean Recipes
- Sautéed Haricot Verts with Red Onions and Shallots
- Green Beans with Chervil Vinaigrette
- Sautéed Green Beans and Oyster Mushrooms
- Blistered Green Beans with Miso Butter
- Air Fryer Green Beans
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Honey Mustard Green Beans
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just barely tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well (they will continue to soften a bit as they cool, so drain them just before they are done to your liking).
- While the beans are cooking, in a large serving bowl, whisk together the honey, Dijon mustard, vinegar, olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Toss the green beans in dressing, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, and serve warm or at room temperature.