Tender, Flavorful Fish
Marinating fish in yogurt gives it a little bit of tang, and really prevents it from drying out, a common worry when making fish at home. And great flavor comes from the seasonings, lemon, garlic, oregano, cumin, and a bit of allspice. Marinate the fish for up to an hour in the fridge if you have the time, but even if you skip that step, you’ll still get a great tasting dish. The whole thing comes together in 15 minutes if that’s all the time you have. I used cod, but you can use any tender, flaky, mild white fish, from perch to tilapia.
Getting Kids to Try Fish
Yeah, yeah, kids and fish. I know. It’s tough. Getting your kids to even try fish can be very, very tricky. And the truth is, you don’t ever know for sure what’s going to appeal – and the landscape changes. But just keep trying, and change things up. This particular fish was inhaled by my younger son when he was a little person, which didn’t mean he loved it the next time I made it.
Parents are always looking for tips on getting their kids to try new foods. Seriously, one of the best tips I know? Put it out when they are HUNGRY. My kids have tried and like more new things out of sheer hunger than anything smart I could have thought of.
If you can get your kid to be part of the fish making, maybe that will help. The kids can measure the herbs and spices, and if they are old enough slice the scallions. You might think about a kid-safe knife, like this one; a knife of one’s own does wonders in terms of inspiring little sous chefs.
Serve Fish in Yogurt Marinade with:
- Mashed potatoes
- Green Bean Nicoise Salad
- a Greek Salad
- Frisee, Radicchio and Escarole Salad with Citrus Dressing
- Orange and Herb Orzo
- Red Onion Mint Orzo
In the mood for fish? Try these other fish recipes:
- 5-Ingredient Honey Ginger Salmon
- Cod with Simplest Fresh Herb Sauce
- Greek Fish Tacos
- Pan Seared Fish with Tomato Basil Relish
Fish in Yogurt Marinade
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon coarse or kosher salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) cod filets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 scallions trimmed and sliced, both white and green parts
- In a shallow baking dish, combine the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, allspice, salt, and pepper. Place the fish filets in the marinade, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for an hour, if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat and add the oil, and the scallions. Sauté the scallions for 1 minute, then shove them to one side and add the fish fillets. Season the fish with salt and pepper, then transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the fish flakes easily. Serve the fish with the scallions spooned over.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved