Here’s what is amazing on a summer evening: a simple grilled steak, a plate of sliced tomatoes with a drizzle of good olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, and a few ears of steamed corn. And a beer. Yum.
So do that once or twice this summer. And maybe you’ll make Mexican corn.
And then, when you are ready for something a little different you’ll come back and try this. About 10 extra minutes will turn your steak and tomato and corn dinner into a Tex-Mex-ish plate of powerful flavors.
And if this steak rub pleases you, try it on other cuts of beef. You can make it ahead and store it in a little jar, and spoon out the rub as you need it for future grilled steak dinners. It would also be great on ribs, pork or beef.
As for the salad, it’s clearly more versatile than just a potential side for this steak. Make this all later summer long and into the early fall, while corn and tomatoes are still everywhere. And the addition of avocado has pretty much made every salad better since the dawn of salad. Skip it if you disagree (but don’t tell me).
I just thought of skipping the avocado in the salad, and piling the corn and tomato mixture inside of a halved avocado. That would be crazy pretty and such an easy lunch. I’m just sad I thought of it too late to take a photo….but you get the picture.
Chili Rubbed Flank Steak with Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
For the Chili Rubbed Flank Steak
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika regular, hot or smoked
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds flank steak
For the Corn and Tomato Salad
- 3 ears of corn shucked
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- ½ cup sliced scallions white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 avocado diced
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro optional
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt, coriander and cayenne. Rub the olive oil on both sides of the steak, then rub the spice mixture over the steak and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill the corn, turning as needed, until the kernels are lightly browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Cool the corn, then slice the kernels off the cobs and place in a medium bowl.
- Grill the steak for about 4 minutes on each side, until nicely marked with grill marks, and cooked to your liking. Transfer to a cutting board and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes for the steak to reabsorb its juices. Thinly slice the meat across the grain.
- While the steak sits, add the tomatoes and scallions to the bowl with the corn. Drizzle over the olive oil, lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad, and toss. Just before serving add the avocado and cilantro and toss again.
- Serve the sliced steak with the salad.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved