Finding that perfect bite to serve your guests with a drink is a fun project – or a slightly confusing one. But luckily for us it has just gotten a bit easier.
I am deeply in love with these handheld little snacks, which have so much going on flavor wise. The sweetness of honey plays so incredibly well against the salty, savory-ness of the blue cheese, the bitter radicchio and the slightly sharp onion. Truffle honey adds a whole other layer of flavor dimension to this already very sophisticated snack or appetizer.
If you don’t have it, no worries – regular honey will do you just fine. And if you want to be super cool, place a piece of honeycomb in a bowl next to the strips and let people drizzle their own honey over their pieces.
But gee, these look like they might be hard to make. And that’s where the delicious punchline comes in – they are made much refrigerated flatbread or thin crust pizza dough! A roll flatbread or pizza dough in the fridge means that any number of nicely topped little bites are just waiting to happen (seriously, once you’ve tried this you’ll be hunting and pecking through your fridge and pantry to find different combos of ingredients to layer on top).
The whole thing comes together in a serious snap; if you want to sliver up the radicchio (see if you can find Treviso radicchio) and onion topping a day ahead of time, that will save you a step when you are putting this together.
If you wanted to take this up yet one more notch, you could put a couple of little dollops of whipped ricotta on each strip. To make whipped ricotta place 1 cup of fresh ricotta into a food processor or blender with salt and pepper to taste. Puree for at least 1 minute, until smooth.
But even without it, these are just amazing. We really couldn’t stop eating them (after having a couple of slices each we just kept cutting the remaining pieces into smaller and smaller squares so we could act as though we weren’t having a third piece).
More Appetizer Recipes for Your Next Cocktail Party:
- Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crostini
- How to Make Deviled Eggs
- Shrimp Ceviche
- Herbed Cheesy Puff Pastry Bacon Straws
- How to Make A Graze Board
- Mushroom Puff Pastry Tartlets
Blue Cheese, Radicchio, Onion and Honey Flatbread Strips
- 1 cup very thinly sliced radicchio
- ½ red onion very thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package refrigerated flatbread or thin crust pizza dough
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey or truffle honey
- Whipped Ricotta optional; see Note and Recipe Intro
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the radicchio and onion in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle over the orange juice and olive oil. Toss well, and let sit for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Roll out the flatbread or pizza dough onto a rimmed baking sheet. Toss the radicchio and onion again, and distribute the vegetables over the flatbread, spreading them evenly in a thin layer almost to the edges. Sprinkle over the thyme. Bake for 12 minutes, then sprinkle the blue cheese over the vegetables and bake for another 3 to 6 minutes until the dough is cooked through and fairly firm, and the blue cheese has started to melt.
- Drizzle the honey over the pizza in a thin stream. Cut the flatbread in half lengthwise, then cut the flatbread crosswise into 8 segments, resulting in 16 rectangular strips. Dollop the pieces with the Whipped Ricotta, if using. Serve hot or warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.