on Mar 25, 2022, Updated Sep 29, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This refreshing and perennially popular rum and fresh mint cocktail is a perfect summer sipper.
A mojito is a traditional Cuban highball, and its fresh minty notes make it a perfect summer sipping cocktail.
The 5 ingredients most commonly used in this cocktail are white rum, sugar, fresh mint, lime and sparkling water or club soda. Some mojitos can gets overly sweet; this one emphasizes the mint and the lime, not to mention the rum, with just the right amount of sweetness. A vodka mojito is made much the same way, only subbing in vodka for the rum.
If you use good quality rum, fresh limes, and very fresh mint, you can’t go wrong with this drink. As with many simple and classic cocktails, there are very few ingredients, so take your time and choose high quality components. Pick a rum that you really like, and don’t even think about not using fresh citrus or herbs.
Mojito: This refreshing and perennially popular rum, lime juice, and fresh mint cocktail is a perfect summer sipper.Tweet This
How Do You Pronounce Mojito?
Well, we’ve all been at a bar or restaurant looking to order something that we’re juuuust not sure how to pronounce. That’s fair. No shame at all. It‘s pronounced Mow-Hee-Tow.
How to Serve a Mojito
Mojitos are most commonly served in highball glasses on the rocks, topped with soda water. They are often garnished with additional fresh mint and sometimes lime wedges or circles.
How to Make a Mojito
Lightly muddle (see Note) the mint in a cocktail shaker until fragrant and lightly smushed.
Add the rum and lime juice.
Then the sugar, and about 1 cup of ice.
Cover, and shake until the outside of the container is cold and beaded with moisture.
Fill two highball glasses with ice. Divide the mojito between the glasses.
Top with the club soda, dividing it between the two glasses.
Garnish each glass with more mint leaves
And a slice of lime in each. Serve.
Other Cocktail Recipes:
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 4 ounces (½ cup) white rum
- 12 mint leaves , plus more for garnish
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 ounces club soda or sparkling water , or to taste
- 2 slices lime
- Lightly muddle (see Note) the mint in a cocktail shaker until fragrant and lightly smushed. Add the rum, lime juice, sugar, and about 1 cup of ice. Cover, and shake until the outside of the shaker is cold and beaded with moisture.
- Fill two highball glasses with ice. Divide the mojito between the glasses. Top with the club soda, dividing it between the two glasses. Garnish each glass with more mint leaves and a slice of lime in each.