Fried tortilla strips are an amazing little snacky hacky treat. They can be used in all kinds of ways, and if you just want to put a few handfuls of them in a bowl to enjoy with cocktails, you will make people very happy. This is the cleverest way to use up tortillas that are just sitting around. Also a great way to pull a quick drink nibble out of thin air.
And making fried tortilla strips could not be easier. You simply heat up some oil, and while the oil is getting hot, thinly slice up some flour or corn tortillas. Either one is good, they just have slightly different flavors, and the flour ones will get a bit crisper than the corn version.
Making Fried Tortilla Strips:
Slice up the tortillas. Heat some oil in a skillet. Drop the strips in batches in the hot oil.
Use tongs to keep tossing them around, being careful to avoid splatters.
When they are golden brown, after a couple minutes of cooking in the hot oil, remove them with tongs or a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
Salt lightly. Try not to eat them all before you serve them.
How to Make Fried Tortilla Strips: Fried tortilla strips are an amazing little snacky hacky treat. They can be used in all kinds of ways, and if you just want to put a few handfuls of them in a bowl to enjoy with cocktails, you will make people very happy.Tweet This
I usually cut the tortillas in half and then slice them thinly the short way. Sometimes I leave them whole and slice them into longer strips, which is the way they look here.
I always make these to top my Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup, but they would be great on all kinds of soups, and all kinds of salads as well.
Soups to Top with Fried Tortilla Strips:
(A little unorthodox, but what the hell.)
- Turkey Posole Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Simple Vegetable Soup
- Escarole and Spinach Soup
- Fragrant Chicken Tomato Soup
- Red Lentil, Fennel and Chicken Slow Cooker Soup
Salads to Top with Fried Tortilla Strips:
- Millet and Greens Salad
- Light Green Crunchy Salad
- Kale, Cabbage and Mint Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Pea Shoot Salad with Shrimp, Goat Cheese and Citrus Vinaigrette
- Spinach, Radish, and Kohlrabi Salad with Preserved Lemons
How to Make Fried Tortilla Strips
- Canola or vegetable oil for panfrying
- 6 corn or flour tortillas halved and cut crosswise into thin strips
- Kosher salt to taste
- Pour the oil to a depth of 1 inch into a medium-size skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Line a plate with a couple of paper towels.
- When the oil is hot, add the tortilla strips in batches and cook, stirring often, until they are crisp and lightly colored, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to the plate and sprinkle lightly with salt while they are still hot.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved