Pizza for Breakfast
Tomorrow morning, when your sleepy, groggy, possibly grumpy kids drag their butts to breakfast and mumble incoherent complaints, try saying this: “Who wants pizza for breakfast?” Their little necks will snap up so fast they may pull something.
Somewhere along the way, certain foods were identified as breakfast foods, and most of us are content to face a plate of eggs, some fruit, or perhaps some oatmeal in the morning. But sometimes it’s nice to shake it up (and by the way, you will likely get a similar reaction if you offer up pancakes for dinner every once in a while).
The main point of breakfast, the piously anointed “most important meal of the day,” is to give you energy to go forth and conquer. Or at least go forth and do well on the spelling quiz.
So, pretty much any food that sounds good at 7 a.m. and isn’t riddled with sugar is fair game. Charlie in particular is often delighted to encounter things like a bowl of vegetable soup or leftover meatballs or chicken piccata first thing in the morning, as am I, which some people find irresistible and others just find weird and confusing.
Quick English Muffin Pizzas in the Oven
These come together in the same amount of time it takes to make hot cereal or scramble some eggs. Follow these up with some fruit, or just serve them with a glass of OJ, and all of the consecrated food groups are present. And any time you can get pizza out of your toaster oven- well, that’s a win to me.
How to Make English Muffin Pizzas
Toast the English muffin halves until very lightly brown. Spoon 1⁄4 cup of the tomato sauce evenly over each English muffin half.
Top each English muffin with a slice of mozzarella. Sprinkle over oregano, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt, as desired. Bake or toast the pizzas until the cheese is melted and a bit bubbly, about 4 minutes.
Think of these for an after-school snack, too… not to mention lunch.
English Muffin Pizza Toppings
Once you spoon on the tomato sauce, you can add anything to the pizza that you would use to top a regular pizza: slivered cooked onions or peppers, sliced olives, chopped cooked broccoli, and so on. If you prefer, add them on top of the mozzarella instead of between the tomato sauce and the cheese.
My gang finds plain works just fine first thing in the morning, but yours might appreciate a non-vegetarian addition like bacon crumbled between the sauce and cheese.
English Muffin Pizzas come together in the same amount of time it takes to make hot cereal or scramble some eggs.”Tweet This
Other Highly Kid-Pleasing Recipes:
- Crispy Chicken Strips with Apricot Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Grilled Pizzas
- One-Skillet Cheesy Beef and Macaroni
- Meatball Subs
- The Ultimate BLT Grilled Cheese
- Chipotle Barbecue Turkey Burgers
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
English Muffin Pizzas
- 2 English muffins preferably whole grain, split
- 1 cup store-bought or homemade tomato sauce
- 4 slices 1⁄4 inch thick mozzarella, preferably fresh
- Dried oregano to taste optional
- Red pepper flakes to taste optional
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat a toaster oven or standard oven to 350°F.
- Toast the English muffin halves until very lightly brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Spoon 1⁄4 cup of the tomato sauce evenly over each English muffin half. You can continue with Step 3 or go directly to Step 4.
- See the Fork in the Road suggestions above for optional toppings.
- Top each English muffin with a slice of mozzarella. Sprinkle over oregano, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt, as desired.
- Bake or toast the pizzas until the cheese is melted and a bit bubbly, about 4 minutes. Serve, making sure your kids know that the pizzas are hot!
Fork in the RoadYou can add anything to the pizzas: slivered cooked onions or peppers, sliced olives, chopped cooked broccoli, pepperoni, crumbled cooked sausage, and so on.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved