Yes, you read that right: Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. I’m putting my air fryer to work, and I’m pretty happy about it. And a grilled cheese sandwich is one of the best lunches on the planet, so I thought it was time for the appliance and the sandwich to meet and see how they did together. And unsurprisingly they did great.
Mayo Makes Grilled Cheese Better
Start by giving the outside of the bread a generous smear of mayo. Sometimes I use butter, and sometimes I use mayo, and this gives an extra layer of flavor to any grilled cheese sandwich. (In a pan it also helps create a lovely browned exterior as well). Place the bread mayo side down on the rack in the air fryer.
Grilled Cheese Add-Ins
Layer on some slices of bacon atop the bread if desired. Other possible add-ins are:
- James, jellies and preserves
- Caramelized Onions or Shallots
- Pickled Things (try sliced or shopped pickled brussels sprouts!)
- Sliced Turkey or Chicken
- Roasted Peppers
Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese
Pile on some shredded cheese. I used a Mexican blend which is one of my go-to shredded cheese choices. Cheddar, Monterey, Gruyere, mozzarella, all possibilities. And then you might also head in another direction, using some slices of brie, for instance, or another soft double or triple crème cheese – watch these a bit closely, since they will probably melt faster, especially if the cheese is at room temperature, and they go from melted to molten in seconds in the air fryer.
A new, easy way to get to heavenly grilled cheese sandwiches (with step by step instructions and photos!)Tweet This
Grilled Cheese in the Air Fryer
Pop on the other slice of bread, mayo side up, and set the timer for 8 minutes at 350°F if you have a temp choice, or just “on” if you don’t.
Start peeking in at around 6 minutes to see if these cheese is melted. It might take anywhere from 6 to 10 minutes depending on the air fryer, the type of cheese you picked, and the amount of cheese you used.
Cut in half and serve up hot. Yes, again, those are potato chips because go big or go home. But look! Also a chickpea salad because I’m not a total heathen.
Will I stop making pan-griddled grilled cheese sandwiches? No, never. But this was fun and slightly less demanding of attention and while the bread didn’t get browned much it had a nice crunch to it, and the mayo on the outside was delicious – use this little trick however you make your grilled cheese, whether it’s in a pan or in the air fryer.
More Air Fryer Recipes:
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Lemon Garlic Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 thick slices country or sourdough bread
- 3 slices bacon halved crosswise
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- Spread the mayonnaise on one side of each of the slices of bread. Place two slices of bread in the air fryer basket, mayo side facing down. Divide the shredded cheese over the tops of the two slices of bread. Cover the cheese with the remaining slices of bread, mayo side up.
- Set the air fryer to 350°F for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy – it may not brown all that much. Cut in half and serve hot.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved