If you are a Chipotle devotee, or even just a regular customer then you likely have tried their cilantro lime rice, which gets added into pretty much every burrito and bowl they make (there is a white and a brown rice version, seasoned similarly). The rice is addicting, and once you see how simple it is to make at home, you will realize that this can be yours as often as you like, served with whatever you feel like making for dinner.
Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice
On their very own website Chipotle lets us in on some of their secrets. A bay leaf used in cooking, for instance – I really don’t think I would have guessed that, but when I go back I will see if I can detect that distinctive but subtle flavor.
Even though the predominant flavor of this rice is lime, the addition of a bit of lemon juice gives the rice a roundness of flavor, and more dimensionality. Chipotle uses a blend of both citrus juices, so it’s fully sanctioned! You can, however, use all lime juice if you like…or even all lemon, for a cilantro lemon rice version.
Cilantro Lime Rice: (As good as Chipotle’s!) A perfect side or companion to Mexican and Southwestern dishes as well as Asian dishes and lots of other simple meals.
What Kind of Rice to Use in Cilantro Lime Rice
Chipotle uses long grain white rice in their recipe, but basmati is another fragrant and delicate option.
What Goes with Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro Lime Rice is very versatile. Yes, it goes well with all Mexican and Southwestern dishes for sure, but it also pairs nicely with Asian dishes and lots of other simple meals. And you cannot go wrong with pairing it with some black beans, like these or this black bean soup.
Serve Cilantro Lime Rice with:
- Steak Fajitas
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Easy Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Hatch Chicken Chili
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Citrus Dressing
Other Rice Side Dishes:
- How to Cook Perfect Rice on the Stove
- How to Cook Perfect Brown Rice on the Stove
- Wild Rice and Broccolini Salad
- How to Cook Perfect Rice in the Instant Pot
- Tomato Scallion Rice
- Herby Brown Rice
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain or basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil , divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Combine the water, rice, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon oil and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then cover and adjust the heat so that the mixture stays at a low simmer. Cook for about 18 minutes until the water has been absorbed. Remove the rice from the stove, and leave it covered for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Blend in the cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, and remaining two teaspoons oil. Serve warm.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved