I created this cheesy cornbread recipe to be the wingman for the delicious varieties of Garden Fresh Gourmet’s new refrigerated soups, which arrived on my doorstep recently. You may well know their name because you’ve bought their refrigerated salsas in the market. And if you have, then the fact that their soups are just completely fantastic will come as no surprise.
These soups are made in small batches with real and recognizable ingredients, like white meat chicken, garden vegetables and herbs and on-trend ingredients like kale and roasted chilies. More importantly, they taste great and can easily be found at the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
We are a full-on soup family. In fact, soup has become one of Charlie’s go-to breakfast choices. Weird? I certainly don’t think so. As a person who frequently eats leftover sushi for breakfast, I am hardly one to judge.
And while I love making soup, there are moments even for us avid soup-makers where we need a grab-and-heat-option, and having these soups in the fridge has made everyone very, very happy.
This cornbread snuggles up nicely next to all of their soup options, from Chicken Noodle with Kale, to Broccoli Cheddar with Parmesan, to Chicken Tortilla with Roasted Chilies, to Tomato with Parmesan (pictured here). Oh, do bake your cornbread in a cast iron skillet, you will be so happy you did. The dark, heavy metal gives the crust a wonderful color, a wonderful crispness on the outside.
Serve with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of salt, next to a bowl of your very favorite soup, and think happy fall thoughts.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Hefty pinch cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus ½ cup for sprinkling
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the butter in 12-inch cast iron skillet and put the pan in the oven until the butter melts and is starting to lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt and cayenne. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese. In another smaller bowl use a fork to stir the eggs with the buttermilk.
- When the butter is melted, twirl the pan a bit so that the butter coats the sides as well as the bottom, then pour almost all of it, except for a couple of tablespoons, into the buttermilk mixture and stir quickly to combine. Whisk the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, just until combined. Scrape the mixture into the hot butter-coated pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until a wooden skewer or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the cornbread just starts to pull away from the outside of the pan. Cool in the pan on a wire rack, until warm or room temperature. Serve in squares or wedges with your favorite Garden Fresh Gourmet soup.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved