Shrimp Fried Rice
Stir fried rice is the best thing that can happen to leftover rice, and this version includes little nuggets of crisp-tender pink shrimp mixed with colorful vegetables.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 People
- 1 pound large peeled and deveined shrimp whole or halved crosswise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 3 cups cold cooked white or brown rice
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce or 3 tablespoons regular soy sauce and 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame or peas defrosted
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions white and light green parts
Season the shrimp lightly with salt and pepper. Heat a wok or a large skillet or saucepan over high heat until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil, and when it is hot, add the shrimp and quickly stir fry them until they are pink, only about 2 minutes. Remove them to a plate and set aside.
Heat 1 more tablespoon of oil in the same wok or saucepan over high heat. Add the beaten eggs and scramble quickly, sliding them out onto the plate with the shrimp when they are just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
Return the wok to the burner over high heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil, then add the cooked rice and stir fry, stirring occasionally until it is lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots ginger and the garlic and stir until you can smell the seasonings, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, edamame, and scallions and stir until everything is hot and the carrots are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cooked shrimp and eggs and stir until everything is well mixed and hot, 1 more minute. Serve right away.
Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 272mg | Sodium: 984mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1984IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 3mg