Red Lentil, Fennel and Chicken Slow Cooker Soup
This thick and satisfying soup has tailgating or sidelines or post-game meal written all over it.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 12 People
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large fennel bulb cored and chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ pound dried red lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts diced small
- 5 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley plus more to serve if desired
In a large (5-quart or more) slow cooker combine the onion, garlic, fennel, carrots, lentils, cumin, coriander, chicken, broth and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook on high for 4 hours. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Stir in the parsley and serve. Sprinkle servings with additional parsley if desired.
Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 583mg | Potassium: 842mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2107IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 3mg