Provencal Fish Stew
A bowl of this is like a tiny little trip to the Mediterranean. It’s unbelievably easy, but absolutely company worthy.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 People
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small bulb fennel cored, quartered and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 zucchini diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch saffron threads optional
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes about 8 ounces total, scrubbed or peeled and cut into 1/2 –inch dice
- 1 ½ pounds cod or other inexpensive flaky white fish
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons halved pitted black olives
- 3 tablespoons torn fresh basil leaves
- Sliced baguette to serve
- Rouille to serve
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the fennel and the onions, and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to become tender. Add the zucchini and the garlic, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for another 5 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender. Add the white wine, and stir to scrap up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Add the tomatoes with their juice, broth, thyme and saffron bring to a simmer; add the potatoes and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper, and sear the filet on both sides, for 5 to 7 minutes per side, until the fish is just barely cooked through (it really depends on the thickness of the fish - if it falls apart a little that's a-ok). Remove and set aside.
When cooled slightly, use a fork to break the fish into 1-inch chunks. Add them to the pot along with the orange zest and juice, and halved olives, stirring gently to combine.
Serve hot with slivered basil on top of each portion, ladled into individual bowls. Spoon some rouille on the slices of barguette and place them on the side or on top of the bowls.
Calories: 464.34kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.64g | Protein: 39.77g | Fat: 17.84g | Saturated Fat: 2.72g | Cholesterol: 73.14mg | Sodium: 568.22mg | Potassium: 2069.66mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10.75g | Vitamin A: 700.51IU | Vitamin C: 67.43mg | Calcium: 192.48mg | Iron: 6.75mg