Slow Cooker Teriyaki Beef Tip Steaks
This teriyaki-ish take was greeted with a vigorous thumbs up, and actually especially from the dog who doesn’t even have actual opposable thumbs.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 6 People
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup less sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons mirin rice wine; optional
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil divided
- 2 pounds beef tip steaks cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Hot cooked rice brown or white, to serve
- Thinly sliced scallions for garnish optional
In a small bowl combine the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, cornstarch, and mirin, if using. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the steak for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and add them to the slow cooker. In the same skillet add the remaining tablespoon of oil and turn the heat to medium. Sauté the onions and garlic for about 3 minutes, until slightly softened. Stir the sauce and add it to the pan, and stir to scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Pour the sauce over the meat in the slow cooker, and then set the slow cooker to high for 4 hours.
Serve the beef teriyaki over the rice, with the scallions sprinkled on top if desired.
Calories: 297.05kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.51g | Protein: 33.69g | Fat: 9.79g | Saturated Fat: 5.55g | Cholesterol: 83.16mg | Sodium: 864.68mg | Potassium: 589.13mg | Fiber: 0.44g | Sugar: 11.87g | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 46.34mg | Iron: 3.19mg