Simple Vegetarian Spring Pasta Salad
This pasta salad is portable and flexible. It's also a nice way to play around with the vegetables of the season.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 Servings
- 1 pound dried spiral pasta or cavatappi ziti or fusilli or other pasta salad-friendly shaped pasta
- 2 cups (8 ounces) halved sugar snap peas
- 2 cups 1-inch pieces asparagus
- 2 cups baby or roughly chopped arugula
- 2 cups baby or roughly chopped spinach
- 1 bell pepper red, yellow, or orange, finely diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half, or quarters if larger
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- ½ cup slivered fresh basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup finely grated Parmesan
Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions – but one minute before the pasta is tender, add the sugar snap peas and the asparagus. Cook for one minute, then drain the pasta and the vegetables and rinse under cold water. Drain well.
Place the pasta, sugar snap peas, and asparagus in a bowl with the arugula, spinach, peppers, tomatoes and scallions.
In a small bowl or container combine the olive oil, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, shallots, basil, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and toss well to combine. Add the Parmesan and toss again. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
Calories: 412.17kcal | Carbohydrates: 50.11g | Protein: 11.77g | Fat: 18.53g | Saturated Fat: 3.21g | Cholesterol: 5.14mg | Sodium: 128.21mg | Potassium: 490.62mg | Fiber: 4.35g | Sugar: 5.68g | Vitamin A: 2273.94IU | Vitamin C: 53.36mg | Calcium: 105.78mg | Iron: 2.99mg