Escarole and Spinach Soup
This is the most delicious and satisfying ways to start counteracting the indulgences of the holiday season.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 10 People
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups roughly chopped escarole rinsed and excess water shaken off
- 4 cups less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans rinsed and drained, optional
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves roughly chopped
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve, optional
Heat the oil in heavy large pot or Dutch oven medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until the onion is tender and golden brown, about 8 minutes.
Turn the heat to medium-high, add the escarole, and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes, until the escarole is wilted. Add the broth, beans (if using) and tomatoes, and bring a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the escarole is tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Adjust the seasonings.
Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, if desired, and serve hot.
Calories: 97.87kcal | Carbohydrates: 13.39g | Protein: 5.94g | Fat: 3.61g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Sodium: 212.41mg | Potassium: 428.61mg | Fiber: 4.15g | Sugar: 2.28g | Vitamin A: 4160.55IU | Vitamin C: 15.05mg | Calcium: 88.26mg | Iron: 2.51mg