Slow Cooker Barbecue Beer Beef Stew
Let's just say the words "beef," "barbecue" and "beer" in the same sentence don't make Gary sad.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time6 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 6 People
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 cup barbecue sauce homemade or storebought
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups ½-inch pieces peeled or scrubbed parsnips or carrots
- ¾ cup beer your favorite kind
- Hot cooked noodles such as egg noodles, to serve
Season the beef evenly with salt, pepper, and the garlic powder.
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Working in batches, brown the meat until it is browned on all sides, about 10 minutes for each batch. Don’t crowd the beef cubes in the pan. Set the meat aside.
Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of fat from the pan and add the onions. Sauté them for 3 minutes, until lightly browned, and add them to the slow cooker. In the slow cooker, mix together the barbecue sauce, beef broth, honey and mustard. Add the parsnips, browned beef and the cooked onions to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Add the beer to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 6 hours, until the meat is tender. Serve hot, with noodles.
Calories: 500.63kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.47g | Protein: 52.56g | Fat: 13.25g | Saturated Fat: 4.15g | Cholesterol: 140.61mg | Sodium: 801.54mg | Potassium: 1144.14mg | Fiber: 3.41g | Sugar: 25.45g | Vitamin A: 106.77IU | Vitamin C: 10.78mg | Calcium: 86.38mg | Iron: 5.43mg