Chopped Winter Salad
Beautiful, sweet, orange butternut squash gets roasted with some slightly—but appealingly—bitter radicchio.
Servings: 6 People
- 1 pound cubed, ¾-inch butternut squash
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 large head radicchio quartered and cored, and each quarter sliced in thirds crosswise
- ¼ cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 large heads endive sliced cross-wise into ½-inch slices
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 green apple cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 cup slivered ricotta salata
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and toss well. Spread out into a single layer, and roast for 15 minutes, until almost tender. Remove from the oven, add the radicchio, toss again, and spread out again into a single layer. Roast for another 8 to 10 minutes until the squash is tender, but still firm, and the radicchio is wilted. Remove and let cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl whisk together the vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper. Add the cooled squash and radicchio, endive, chickpeas, apple and ricotta salata and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Calories: 302.98kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.99g | Protein: 10.98g | Fat: 16.51g | Saturated Fat: 4.94g | Cholesterol: 20.91mg | Sodium: 277.03mg | Potassium: 929.97mg | Fiber: 10.11g | Sugar: 6.89g | Vitamin A: 11496.45IU | Vitamin C: 27.02mg | Calcium: 229.48mg | Iron: 2.99mg