Have you succumbed to the call of the popsicle mold? They are all over the place, and I resisted them for a while. But then I got them as a gift, and I am now embracing the world of frozen pops.
These yogurt berry pops were my first foray. I made a mashed up speed jam with a bunch of different berries, and sweetened some yogurt with honey. Then I layered the two mixtures into the molds, and really that was that. The next time I stuck a fork into the mixture and swirled them them a bit, so they looked more dappled and the flavors were more intermingled.
But you know, there’s a learning curve on everything. And these were all pretty fine.
I absolutely positively would consider these breakfast. I also would absolutely positively would consider them a snack, perfect for any time of day.
Other breakfast possibilities (regular or unorthodox):
- Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes
- Grilled Cheese with Apple Jam
- Puff Pastry Breakfast Tarts with Spinach, Egg and Cheese
- Blintzes with Sour Cream, Cottage Cheese and Berries
- Pepper, Onion, Mushroom and Feta Frittata
- Shakshuka with Swiss Chard
- 2 cups berries of your choice such as whole raspberries, blackberries or blueberries or strawberries, or a combination, roughly chopped, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¼ cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- For the berry “jam’: Put the berries in a small heavy saucepan. Sprinkle the sugar over them and mash together with a fork until the berries are coarsely mashed and juicy. Heat the berry-sugar mixture over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- To make the popsicles: Stir the yogurt, milk and honey together until blended. Spoon enough of the yogurt into the molds to fill about one-fifth. Add a layer of berries, then yogurt, then berries, then yogurt up to the fill line. Use a butter knife to swirl the yogurt and berries together but don’t over-swirl. Put the popsicle handles into the mold and freeze until solid. This can take from 4 to 6 hours, depending the type of mold you use.
- Remove and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.