The Ultimate BLT Grilled Cheese
on Apr 18, 2016, Updated Aug 13, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Two brilliant sandwiches meet as one.
Several weeks ago when we rolled out the grill for the first time of the season, there was much joy throughout the land. And by the land I mean my immediate family. What to grill first? Ribs? Burgers? Pizza? Choices, I tell you.
This is the sandwich that triumphed. A marriage of a summer BLT and an actually-grilled grilled-cheese sandwich. The buttery crunch of the bread, the juicy tomatoes, the melty cheese, the crisp bacon and lettuce – these two sandwiches were meant to find each other and become one.
You can use iceberg instead of romaine if you want more of a crunch (never apologize for wanting to use iceberg sometimes — it’s a perfect lettuce for some moments and some recipes).
Bacon and Cheese Choices:
And you can play around with various types of bacon (there are a lot of great bacons out there….this is a pleasurable exercise) or pancetta.
Instead of cheddar you also have the world-wide array of cheeses at your disposal. I just got back from a few days in Wisconsin, tasting tons of wonderful cheeses (yeah, yeah, I know, boo hoo, poor me), and I came away thinking this would become our summer of grilled cheese. This would not have been a tough sell to my family at any point, but after this sandwich? All in, baby.
And should a grill not be available to you, just make this on the stovetop, in a griddle pan if you have one, in a regular old pan if you don’t. A panini press would also be an excellent thought.
A marriage of a summer BLT and an actually-grilled grilled-cheese sandwich. These two sandwiches were meant to find each other and become one.Tweet This
More Kid-Pleasing Recipes:
- English Muffin Pizzas
- Meatball Subs
- Buffalo Turkey Burger Sliders
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas
- Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet
- Crispy Chicken Strips with Apricot Mustard Dipping Sauce
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
The Ultimate BLT Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 ⅓ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 cooked bacon
- 8 large pieces romaine lettuce
- 3 plum tomatoes sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium low.
- Butter one side of each of the pieces of bread. Evenly divide the cheese amongst 4 slices of the bread, on the un-buttered sides. Place all of the bread, buttered side down, on the grill and cover the grill. Grill the bread until the bottom is lightly marked with grill marks, and the cheese is melted. You may need to remove the plain pieces of bread first, and move the cheese covered pieces to the top grill rack and cover the grill for a couple of extra minutes, so that the cheese melts but the bottoms of the bread slices don’t burn.
- Spread the mayonnaise evenly over the unbuttered sides of the 4 pieces of toast. On the melted cheese slices, layer the bacon, lettuce and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Place the mayonnaise spread slices mayo-side down on the sandwiches, slice, and eat warm.