You can expect to see a number of platters of adorable little roasted baby potatoes with dipping sauces in the coming months. This pinky-pretty one has a rich creaminess that jibes so nicely with the heat of the harissa sauce. My other recent favorite is Roasted Potatoes with Arugula-Basil Dipping Sauce.
In Spain roasted potatoes are often part of a tapas offering, and often either drizzled with a sauce, or served with a sauce alongside. These Potatoes with the Harissa sauce are kind of like a version of Spain’s patatas bravas. In patatas bravas the potatoes are usually cubed and boiled, and then deep fried, but for the purposes of our little world of crisp potatoes oven-roasting is just fine. The sauce usually consists of vinegar, red pepper, tomatoes, spices and olive oil, and sometimes an aioli, or mayonnaise is served alongside as well.
I short-cutted that whole thing but blending some harissa sauce with mayo and sour cream and calling it a day. Harissa is spicy North African sauce, and so we are definitely blending culinary borders here, which is a delightful hobby of mine.
I also want to serve up this dipping sauce with Smashed Baby Potatoes, just for a really wacky change of pace.
More Roasted Potato Side Dish Recipes:
- The Best Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
- Thyme and Yukon Gold Potato Gratin
- Killer Roasted Marinated Chicken and Potatoes
Roasted Potatoes with Harissa Dipping Sauce
- 2 pounds small new potatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 teaspoons harissa sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle over the olive oil. Toss to coat then spread the potatoes out on the baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, harissa, and salt and pepper.
- Serve the potatoes warm with the dipping sauce.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved